Subway’s supersized snacks

New footlong items fail to impress
Rachel Arkis
Footlong pretzel, churro and cookie from Subway on Feb. 13. Subway released footlong items permanently as part of its Sidekicks menu.

Sandwich food chain Subway recently released a new menu of footlong treats, enticing many to try the high caloric desserts. Following last year’s announcement of Subway’s sugar content in their bread, which is the average amount in a pastry, many people turned away from their sandwiches. But with the advertisement of these new, actual treats, I was inclined to taste all three of the footlong desserts: the chocolate chip cookie, the churro and the pretzel.

Footlong Chocolate Chip Cookie: ★★★☆☆
The chocolate chip cookie was what was most advertised and what initially drew me into trying this new menu from Subway. Growing up, I remembered that the sandwich chain had pretty average cookies, and I was interested in seeing what this elongated version would taste like. Selling for $5.00, the cookie itself tastes mass-produced, and it’s just alright. The chocolate chips were a bit melty, but other than that, the cookie was nothing special besides its length. Allinall, the cookie is average, and you can find much better elsewhere.

Footlong Churro: ★★☆☆☆
The $2.00 churro being released on the menu also intrigued me, as it was being described as Cinnabon inspired. I love churros, and I love Cinnabon, so I was willing to give this longer version a try. Again, this dessert was just average or even slightly below that. The cinnamon flavor was only slightly there, and what is supposed to be a soft, pastry treat was somehow crunchy, making it extremely unappealing. I don’t know how anyone approved of this churro being advertised as Cinnabon-like, as it brings disgrace to the Cinnabon brand. Buying a pack of frozen churros to reheat in a microwave is bound to be better than the Subway version.

Footlong Pretzel: ★☆☆☆☆
To say I was disappointed by this pretzel would be an understatement. It was advertised as being an Auntie Anne’s-like pretzel, but it was nothing of the sort. The pretzel was tough, hard to chew, stale and overall flavorless. I am a big fan of a true Auntie Anne’s pretzel, and will always grab one at the mall, but this creation by Subway I wouldn’t touch with a footlong pole. Spending $3.00 on this disgrace of a pretzel is not worth it whatsoever, and I’d definitely recommend finding a soft pretzel somewhere else.

Overall, these items were mid to below average. I can’t say I went into this with high expectations, as Subway is already appetizing to me, but these items weren’t worth the $10.00 I spent. They all were bland and hard to chew, and not a good eating experience. Better alternatives are out there, so I’d recommend staying away from Subway desserts for the foreseeable future.