Dopey at the cinema

‘Drugstore June’ is anything but a comedy
Fair use from Shout! Studios

“Drugstore June,” a comedy/mystery movie, came out in theaters Feb. 23. “Drugstore June” is a very mediocre movie to start off this year. This film was directed by Nicholaous Goossen, and released by SHOUT! STUDIOS. I thought this movie in general was not that funny and tried too hard to relate to how kids today act by portraying the story through comedy.

The movie is a coming of age movie about a girl in her early 20s who still lives at home and hasn’t really grown up or matured from high school yet. June works at a local pharmacy that has been robbed. Her coworker is accused of the robbery and she goes on an investigation to clear his name while learning about herself. This movie is making fun of what an influencer or millennial looks like through the portrayal of the main character, June. The plot was okay but nothing special. The movie doesn’t get too deep into the storyline — it’s pretty simple and is a clear cut movie. There also isn’t a lot of background about the protagonist. The movie gets straight to the point, and there’s not much build up during the movie to help audiences feel attached to the characters.

This movie just wasn’t funny. They tried to portray June as a typical influencer girl who wants to get famous off social media. The movie tries to make fun of how kids today act, but it did a very poor job of portraying this. More Importantly, it wasn’t even remotely funny — it just felt cringe. That’s how I felt about most of the “funny moments.” It felt like the people who wrote these characters didn’t really know what they were trying to make fun of. There are a few comedic moments that come more from the supporting characters more than anything. There are a lot of cameo appearances by comedians such as Bill Burr, Trevor Wallace and Bobby Lee. There were notable influencers like Bhad Babie, who I assume was put in the movie in order to make fun of the whole concept of influencers. I thought it was cool to see these people, all in one movie, but they didn’t really have big roles or much of an impact. When these supporting actors did have a few lines, they were trying to get punchlines out or make fun of June, but it didn’t really work — or at least I didn’t find it that funny.

It didn’t feel like a high level production. It was shot in a couple of the same spots because it’s placed in a small town, but better shots and displays during scenes would have made the environment more interesting. The scenery wasn’t appealing during shots and looked pretty dull. The movie’s low production value would have been fine if it had been funny, interesting, or just watchable, but it wasn’t. The setting contributed to the moving being unfunny, bland and empty.

It wasn’t really much of a mystery — yes, it had a mystery theme, but again, it’s more about us finding out more about our main character June and how she realizes how obnoxious she is and how she might need to change to better her current situation. Again, it’s the idea of coming of age and less of the other themes that we see in the idea of a comedy or mystery.

I would not recommend you watch this movie, and I wouldn’t watch this movie again. If you are someone who does enjoy comedies and sees this as a comedy, this movie is not what it seems. It is full of cringe, dull and lazy moments. I didn’t see anything good about this movie except the amount of cameos that made it somewhat interesting. I thought that this movie in general was sloppy and was trying to make fun of how kids act in today’s age but didn’t make it funny — they made it cringe instead.

“Drugstore June”: ★☆☆☆☆