Season two is ‘Invincible’

‘Invincible’ second season proves successful
Fair use from Amazon Prime Video

On Nov. 3, we were given season two of the TV show “Invincible,” and it blew my expectations out of the water. This was a long-awaited break as season one was aired in 2020. Fans were outraged at the long wait so when season two came out it was no surprise that it was a hit — tripling the viewership of season one. Season two lasted eight episodes and when the TV show stopped at episode four, viewers were really upset. It was revealed that the editors needed to take a couple of months to get part two ready, in other words, they needed more time to make the last four episodes, which took another four months for them to come out with part two. The last four episodes were finally released March 15 — however, the finale aired April 4.

If you’re unfamiliar with the show it might be best known from the “think, Mark” meme. Essentially, the show follows Mark Grayson (Steven Yeun) also known as Invincible, a superhero who is half human half viltrumite (which is an alien race). In season one, the Guardians of the Globe get killed, leaving Mark’s father Omni-Man (J.K. Simmons) injured. Mark Grayson becomes Invincible and learns what it’s like to become a superhero, trying to follow in his father’s footsteps. There are also a huge number of heroes including the Guardians of the Globe which is similar to “The Avengers” or “The Justice League.” Season one focuses on the relationship between Mark and his father, the challenges Mark faces in his everyday life, becoming a superhero, and the Guardians of the Globe.

With that being said, season two blew my socks off. It reminded me why I love this TV show so much. Each episode always keeps you on the edge of your seat. In this season Mark starts his first year of college with his girlfriend Amber (Zazie Beetz) and struggles to juggle relationships and being a superhero. The first episode alone hypes you up by introducing the idea of a villain traveling through dimensions and seeing Mark being a villain in each one which leaves you questioning Mark’s fate this season. Season two also explored Mark’s roots as a viltrumite, which in my opinion was one of the most entertaining things in season two because viltrumites are known to be ruthless killers, so seeing Mark have to tackle his bloodline was exciting. The Guardians of the Globe go through a huge change this season with super intense new supervillains way more deadly than the last.

Season two is so enticing to watch because of its constant cliffhangers, thrill and continuity. I will say in the show the fight scenes can get pretty graphic and the show can be gruesome at times so this is something you do have to keep in mind. My brother and I love “Invincible” and we watched all of season two together, so I think this is a fun show to watch on your own or with a friend or family member. The gruesomeness adds to the thrill of the season and leaves you shocked in fight scenes or other big moments in the show.

I loved season two of “Invincible.” It introduced themes that keep you engaged, fight scenes that leave you on the edge of your seat and a journey into the world of “Invincible” that is bigger and better than last season. Season two surprised me a lot because I genuinely thought that they wouldn’t be able to make a better season of “Invincible” than season one then season two finally came and toppled its predecessor.

“Invincible” is by far my favorite animated TV show I’ve ever watched and this season just proved why I love it so much. Season two had the perfect balance of comedy, action, intensity and excitement. It built perfectly off of season one and now that season two is over, I’m sure there is even more to build off of in season three. Luckily, season three was in development at the same time season two was (April 21, 2021), so cross your fingers that we get season three sooner than we expected. I guarantee you that if you enjoyed season one of this show, season two will make you love it even more.

“Invincible Season 2:” ★★★★★