Four underrated artists

Under-credited musicians
Fair use from Djo

Finding new artists can be hard, especially with the radio only playing hit songs from already huge artists. Exploring new music is fun, and it’s enjoyable to find new, talented artists that are less known. There are many smaller artists that deserve recognition for their talent, so here are some of my favorite underrated artists. 

Ashe has been on the music scene for a pretty decent amount of time, and she is immensely underrated. I would consider her an Alternative and Blues musician. She is most well known for her song “Moral of the Story,” where she beautifully lyricized the reality and process of grieving about her previous relationship. Although I think many people would recognize a few of her songs, she has been able to release good after good songs worth listening to. She has created three studio albums and multiple singles. Her newest album “Rae” came out recently in 2022. It is by far my favorite of her albums because it is great to sing along to, and I appreciate Ashe’s unique music and special voice that I hadn’t heard before. In the album, she showcases a wide variety of different sounds and emotions. There are upbeat songs, slow songs and everything in between. I highly recommend people who like alternative music and appreciate solitary voices to listen to her music. 

Another artist I am shocked is not bigger, considering his insane talent, is Djo. He is another alternative artist, but I could see someone also categorizing his music under indie pop or rock. His debut album “Twenty Twenty” came out in 2019, and he released another album in 2020 called “Decide.” I love Djo for his individual sound exemplified in “On and On,” and creativity showcased in “Chateau (Feel Alright).” My favorite songs of his are “Mortal Projections” and “Change” because I love both songs’ great beat and storytelling. The artist’s name, Djo, is actually an alias name for his music career. Joe Keery is his real name, and he is fairly famous due to the show Stranger Things, where he stars as one of the main characters. However, not many people know he has released a lot of really good music that I highly recommend people to listen to. 

Stephen Sanchez is yet another underrated artist. He quickly rose under the spotlight after releasing his first single “Until I Found You” in 2021, which massively trended on TikTok. While many people know him for just that song, he has so many brilliant songs that people don’t give him enough credit for. He proved everyone who thought he was going to be a one hit wonder wrong as he has created two great albums now. One was released in 2022 called “Easy On My Eyes” and his most recent album, “Angel Face,” came out Sept. 22. I like Sanchez because he has a beautiful voice and great lyricism. I think his song “I Need You Most Of All” gorgeously represents how amazing his music is. I also appreciate him because, although he is considered a pop musician, his sound is different from the popular mainstream pop singers. I could definitely see Stephen Sanchez becoming an extremely popular singer in the near future and people should start listening to him now, so they can say they supported him before he became super big. 

I am exceedingly surprised that this singer is not streamed more. Suki Waterhouse is the last underrated artist I would love to highlight. It is not an exaggeration when I say she has one of the prettiest voices I have heard. She released her first single as early as 2016 with a song called “Brutally,” and since then she released many more singles and an album, “I Can’t Let Go” in 2022. I think most people would recognize her song “Good Looking,” which has circled back to popularity. That was the only song of hers I knew prior to watching a show she starred in called “Daisy Jones and the Six,” and after that I have listened to a lot more of her music. My favorite of her songs right now is “To Love.” This song perfectly captures how mesmerizing her voice is, and it shares a positive message that puts me in a good mood. Waterhouse’s music is for anyone who adores soft, stunning voices and sub pop. For those people I can assure you that her songs will not disappoint.