Underrated Artists: Joey Bada$$, NAV, Nardo Wick, Destroy Lonely

Four artists that deserve more appreciation
Fair use from Genius
Fair use from Genius

Welcome to “Underrated Artists,” an entertainment column from the St. Louis Park Echo covering unpopular and unknown artists. Every week, a different Echo staffer takes on the role of writer, reviewing single releases and albums from four underrated artists.

Someone that’s been in the rap industry for a long time, yet still doesn’t get the recognition he deserves is Joey Bada$$. Joey Bada$$ has an old school style with a twist of modern rap. He can be compared to Nas, Tupac and Jay-Z. His best projects were released in the 2010s, but still hit the same to this day. Some of my favorites of his are “Survival Tactics,” “Paper Trail$,” and “DEVASTATED.” Especially on “Survival Tactics,” his flow is unreal. His lyricism and storytelling make it a great listen throughout the whole song, as he describes struggles with the police and hard times in modern American society. There are many occasions where I will be listening to his music and just understand a new line, even after listening to the song many times before. His lyricism and flow is just that creative. It won’t take much listening before you realize he’s a lyrical genius.

Another rapper that has been in the game for a while is NAV. NAV never really gets talked about, but he has some really good features on huge songs. His relatively monotone voice makes for great additions to a long list of songs including “Lemonade,” “Champion,” “beibs in the trap,” “Wanted You” and more. He’s not a very huge name, but any rap fan will know him from his appearance on countless albums made by other artists. He’s collaborated with Travis Scott, Playboy Carti, Gunna and many more big names, proving himself as a reliable feature and addition to any project. However, he’s not just a feature artist. Hits like “Myself” and “Minute” prove his versatility as a lead creator as well.

A younger artist that doesn’t get the nearly the appreciation that he deserves is Nardo Wick. Nardo is definitely a more aggressive song writer and producer, but his music will definitely get you excited. He sticks to trap rap and does a great job. Some of his best songs include “Me or Sum,” “Baby Wyd” and “Alright,” as they are very interesting with beats and vocals. His production and vocals make for very exciting listening, and it makes you want to put your speakers on max volume. Not to mention, Nardo definitely isn’t afraid to be himself — he makes bold songs that separate him from the rest. I think his uniqueness in the trap industry is the reason why he’s so underrated. He brings a new feel to trap with aggressive vocals and bass boosted production.

The fourth and final artist is Destroy Lonely. Destroy Lonely is an Opium Label rapper that can be compared to bigger names like Playboi Carti and Lil Uzi Vert. He’s definitely created a more mysterious aura as a young rapper as far as his music and social presence. This shows up in tracks like “if looks could kill” and “JETLGGD.” In addition his production and collaboration with other artists makes for some of his best music. Songs like “Bane,” “VTMNTSCOAT,” and “Murda Musik (Ken Carson feat. Destroy Lonely)” make it to my everyday rotation. He is a very unique rapper and has revolutionized the underground rap game for years to come after his emergence in 2021.