Following the rules of religion

Josh Anderson, Staff Writer

Ash wednesday began the six week long tradition, possibly changing believer’s daily lives
Church of the Holy Family “Catholic Church”, located near park, describes lent as a time for ‘prayer, fasting and works of love.’The Church of the Holy Family has recently listed Lenten regulations in a bulletin for its congregation to follow during the forty days of Lent.

These regulations include ‘discipline of fasting, almsgiving (kind acts) and prayer.’ The booklet also says that ‘failure to observe any penitential days at all or a substantial number of such days must be considered serious.’

Junior Maria Brandel, a member of the Catholic religion, said her family generally follows the regulations of Lent.

“On Ash Wednesday we’re only supposed to eat one meal, and on friday’s we shouldn’t eat meat,” Brandel said. “Sometimes we don’t follow the rules that strictly though.”

Another component in the celebration of Lent, is giving up certain luxuries as a form of penitence.

“I’m encouraged to do something very spiritually with my penitence,” said Brandel. “But I usually gives up something more generic like candy.”

Junior Evan McManus, also a Catholic, said he also gives up something during Lent for penitence, and tries to do more good works during almsgiving.

“During lent I try to give up something that I can live without but is hard to give up,” McManus said. “I also try to participate in more volunteer activities and community service.”

Jewish sophomore Ori Etzion said that there are many similarities between Lent and Judaism.

“In Judaism we practice a ‘preparation’ from passover to Shavuot very similar to Lent known as the ‘Counting of Omer,” Etzion said. “This lasts for 49 days and you must give up some comforting lifestyle choices such as shaving and getting haircuts.”