Spanish students complete ‘Cultura en Vivo’ projects

Cultural projects enhance students’ understanding of Hispanic lifestyle

Jacob Stillman and Ndunzi Kunsunga

Students in Spanish classes recently completed the first of two cultural projects as a part of their class requirement to better understand Hispanic life.

Jane Hudacek, a Spanish teacher for Spanish IV and Spanish conversation and culture, described the project as a way for students to further their Spanish skills through real-life interaction.

“The students are encouraged and required to participate in at least two, potentially three, activities where they’re interacting with the Spanish speaking community,” Hudacek said. “They can choose exactly what they do based on their interests. The idea is that they interact with not only the Spanish community but with other people.”

Students chose to participate in a number of activities, from visiting an authentic hispanic restaurant to watching a Spanish movie.

After completing his assignment, which was watching a Spanish movie, Spanish IV student Ben Bakken said he thought the project itself was valuable in gaining a perspective of Spanish culture.

“(Cultura en Vivo’ is) important because it is good to get a feel for the way (people) live in hispanic countries,” he said.

Students in Hudacek’s Spanish classes just completed and turned in their second ‘Cultura en Vivo’ projects Dec. 16. A third project is optional and can be turned in for extra credit in the class.

Jacob Stillman, Sports Editor

Hello everyone, my name is Jacob, your co-sports editor. People often confuse me with Shaquille O’Neal and Michael Jordan because of our shared dunking...

Ndunzi Kunsunga, Profiles Editor

Hi I’m Ndunzi/Jason and I am the champion. When I’m the center of attention everyone gets a sheer heart attack so don’t stop me now. I’m a nice...