Magazine offers free audiobook downloads

Program provides accessible literature

Student Anna Kasper sits in the Library Media Center between classes to spend time reading.

Nathaniel Sturzl

Nathaniel Sturzl

According to media specialist Ellen George, AudiobookSYNC, a service by AudioFile, allows students to download two free audiobooks weekly throughout the summer.

“There are two free audiobook downloads per week,” George said. “This is the end of the first week. Tomorrow is yet another.”

According to George, there are two books offered weekly, and once downloaded, they can be kept. She also said each book is only available for free download within the allotted week.

George said audiobooks provide a new way to read.

“It’s a great way while you’re busy doing something else that you can listen to a story — if that works for you,” George said. “Some people audiobooks don’t work for. For some people they’re awesome. It’s a great way to keep reading even when you’re cleaning your room, or washing the kitchen floor.”

Junior Chava Buchbinder said she feels the service is advantageous to those who enjoy audiobooks.

“I think it’s a really good opportunity for people who are into (audiobooks),” Buchbinder said. “I think it’s a really cool opportunity because I feel that sometimes (they are) hard to find, and it can be expensive”

George said reading during the summer aids in maintaining and improving skills used during the school year.

“In the summer, you fall backwards in your learning and this is a way to keep reading without actually having to sit down with a book in front of you,” George said. “Also, there are people who struggle with reading for one reason or another and audiobooks work, perhaps, better for them. It’s always worth a try.”

Buchbinder said she thinks reading in any format, can benefit students.

“I don’t even think that you have to read books,” Buchbinder said. “I mean, even keeping up with the news, just keeping up and staying informed. It’s just a fun experience of just even reading current events. Just learning more about the world.”

According to George, Hennepin County Library also offers free access to literature in a variety of formats.

“(Hennepin County Library is) your place to borrow print books, ebooks, audiobooks, movies, music,” George said. “It’s awesome and it’s all free. I bet you we have one of the very best few library systems in the whole country.”

George said reading allows students to engage themselves in new worlds.

“There are so many lives we’ve never lived or universes we’ve never imagined, situations that are exciting and, for me, that’s a fascinating way to spend your time, you know, living this other world for a while, living someone else’s story,” George said.

Buchbinder said reading can be a good way to escape from daily life.

“Sometimes it’s just nice to spend time away from the computer and it’s kind of cool reading about something regardless of if it is true or not, it’s fun to read about a story outside of your life,” Buchbinder said.

According to George, Hennepin County Library offers a resource called NoveList K-8 Plus, which allows students to find books similar to ones they’ve previously enjoyed.

“Novelist does readalikes,” George said. “If you don’t know what to read next, but you do know you really like this one author or you loved this one book you put those in and then it gives you a list of other authors or other books or series that you might like based on what’s in that book. That’s kind of fabulous.”

George said students seeking ways to find books to read over the summer can come talk to her.

“Anybody who wants to get more ideas, stop by and talk to me,” George said. “I’m always happy to help you find a book.”