Orchestra’s last concert of the year

Seniors say their last goodbyes

Sophie Olmen
Sophmores Hayley Westwood and Claire Middleton practice for their spring concert on May 23.

According to orchestra director Miriam Edgar, the orchestra’s spring concert will be orchestra’s last concert of the year with the class saying goodbye to the seniors.

“I usually end up bawling at this concert because I am saying goodbye to the seniors and this class of seniors I have had for six years,” Edgar said.

Senior Deanna Afremov said she feels sad that it is her final Park orchestra concert.

“Well, I am kind of sad just because I have been in orchestra since freshman year. Orchestra is where I made most of my friends and I am sad to be leaving,” Afremov said.

According to senior Eric Manuel, many students are working with volunteer Kou Lee because he will be conducting a piece.

“(Lee) is coming in and he is helping us work on one of the pieces of music,” Manuel said.

Edgar said she asked Lee to conduct one of the pieces to give him a sense of what it would be like as an orchestra teacher.

“When (Lee) started coming in more and being able to give more time I said ‘how do you feel conducting a song and I think you should have that experience with a string orchestra’ and he was like ‘yes’,” Edgar said.

According to Manuel, during orchestra’s final concert they give out a National Orchestra Award to a senior who represents the best in terms of excellence in music and leadership.

“There is the National Orchestra Award, where students in the orchestra class will vote on a group of seniors who are listed,” Manuel said. “These seniors meet some kind of criteria and who ever wins that vote gets that award, so it’s a recognition award.”

Edgar said seniors have the chance to receive the director’s award at the spring concert.

“The other (award) is a director’s award, that’s the one I get to pick, that’s usually a student that has given a lot (of) time (to orchestra),” Edgar said.

The orchestra spring concert is 7 p.m. May 23 in the high school auditorium.