Future plans for Roots and Shoots

Club prepares for next year

As senior Zosha Skinner reflects on leaving Roots and Shoots, she said she thinks the club will be successful next year.

“I think that Roots and Shoots will last beyond just next year, and I think that even if there are just three people next year, they’re a great three people,” Skinner said. “They’re all really great kids who are positive activists in their communities and I have full faith that they’ll be able to carry on the legacy.”

iMatter executive director and Roots and Shoots mentor Larry Kraft said he will miss the seniors, but looks forward to working with new members.

“I’ll be sad to see some of the senior leaders go. I’m excited for them for their futures,” Kraft said.

Junior Lukas Wrede said the club plans to continue current activities in the community and also host new activities.

“We are hoping to be even more active than we were last year,” Wrede said. “ We really hope to take what we did last year and work off of that and build even more stronger and sustainable community.”

According to Wrede, Roots and Shoots has plans to recruit more members next year if the club is too small.

“If we ask people to come to a meeting, it’s not that intriguing to them so we might plan a big outdoor event where we plant hundreds of trees or something like that,” Wrede said.

Skinner said the club is in trustworthy hands and will be successful in the future.

“I’m not worried about the future of Roots and Shoots. I think that the future of Roots and Shoots has a lot of beautiful things in store,” Skinner said. “I think that the group of people that it’s being passed down on to, all the underclassmen, will do a really great job next year with proceeding with the same activities and finding new ones to get involved in too.”

Wrede said Roots and Shoots already has plans for the club when it starts next year.

“We’re planning on working to improve the climate action plan for St. Louis Park. It still needs brainstorming ideas and we still need to figure out exactly what we need to do. Some things may include going door to door and asking business to turn to clean energy, to homeowners, and to students here,” Wrede said.