Club finds success in first meeting

Students learn from entrepreneur

Aaron Kardell, founder and CEO of HomeSpotter, addresses a group of students at the first TILE meeting. The meeting took place 7 p.m. Tuesday, May 23 at the St. Louis Park Library.

Caroline Green

Caroline Green

Maddie Lund

When junior Katie Fredrickson was asked about the impact the TILE chapter talk had on her, she said listening from the mindsight of an entrepreneur was helpful.

“It was interesting to hear someone’s perspective who’s been through being an entrepreneur and going through college, and just making their own way in the world,” Fredrickson said.

According to junior TILE chapter co-founder Isaac Wert, the meeting with speaker Aaron Kardell, founder of the company that created the real estate app HomeSpotter, went extremely well and was enjoyable for all.

“Our first TILE event was an incredible success. Our talk with Aaron Kardell was incredibly captivating,” Wert said. “All of our fellow students were engaged and asking questions and ultimately it was a great night.”

Fredrickson said she will take away a lot from listening to Kardell, specifically the importance of finding internships.

“We talked about how internships are important, so finding internships later in life would be good to have. They will give me real life job experience that will be invaluable,” Fredrickson said.

Wert said Kardell talked a lot about the resume-building and experiences in college that can help when applying for jobs.

“Aaron talked a lot about what he was looking for in employees in terms of qualifications and college experiences,” Wert said. “I think that is a helpful perspective in considering different post-secondary options and opportunities that we’re being faced with moving into, for many of us, our senior year.”     

Junior Lindsey Prestholdt said listening to Kardell was not only helpful for people going into business, but also for practical reasons regarding future careers.

“He did tell us about job applications and colleges, he told us that when you are applying for a job the best thing to have is confidence and a good attitude, and when he’s hiring people that’s the main thing he looks for,” Prestholdt said.

Wert said he and the other TILE founders are hoping to continue scheduling speakers to talk to the student body in the next year.

“We plan to do more of these throughout 2017-2018 academic school year in which we will have different local business leaders come in and speak to students like we had at1

ur first meeting,” Wert said.