Learning lab provides appreciated service for students

Space to work, socialize

Learning+Lab+teacher+Scott+Broady+helps+sophomore+Dairion+Lovely+with+a+math+assignment+Nov.+7.+The+Learning+Lab+has+help+available+to+students+in+any+subject.+
Learning Lab teacher Scott Broady helps sophomore Dairion Lovely with a math assignment Nov. 7. The Learning Lab has help available to students in any subject.

Sophie Olmen

Sophie Olmen

Sumaya Mohamed, writer

Student advocator and Higher Achievement Program adviser Christopher Weaver said he works with students in the Learning Lab.

“My job title is student advocator so first and foremost, this a place where students come and seek out help from people who can be resources for them whether it’s with writing or math and student advocates are IB coordinators, other tutoring help so that’s how I contribute to the space here,” Weaver said.

According to senior Britney Villanueva, she goes to the Learning Lab to receive help from the teachers there.   

“I do think coming to the Learning Lab is useful because it gives you the freedom of doing your work,” Villanueva said. “(The Learning Lab is) also a place where you could actually study and concentrate in, and you also have that extra help on the side for whenever you need it.”

According to junior Jakayla Ellis, she appreciates the help teachers present in the Learning Lab.

“The staff that’s in here push you to do your work in here, and if you don’t do your work then you (have) to go,” Ellis said.

Villanueva said she enjoys coming to the Learning Lan because of the vibe she receives from it.  

“I think (the Learning Lab is) different than the entire school. It’s colorful in here, it has creativity, and all the teachers are really close. They are friendly, and I just thinks it’s a great place to study,” Villanueva said.

Weaver said he values working with students and providing a support system for them.

“(I like) working with young people and processing and talking through issues and being just a solid person that people can rely on and trust to get information from or help or an opinion,” Weaver said.

Ellis said the Learning Lab is a space where she can interact with her friends.

“I do come down to socialize with friends because we could talk and do work,” Ellis said.

The Learning Lab is located in the A2 hallway. According to Kari Conroy, students don’t need a pass if they wish to come to the Learning Lab before school, during open hours, during lunch and after school.