The hijab after four years

The hijab after four years

Hadeal Rizeq

When I made the shift from showing my hair in public to wearing the hijab four years ago in October 2013, it represented a clearer perspective on my life.

Since I started wearing the hijab, it has been easier for me to speak about topics and events going on in the world and establish higher confidence in the actions I do. I have been able to get out of my comfort zone and express myself in ways I never thought I could. Since freshman year, I’ve joined more clubs and allowed myself to stand out in other things that I thought were impossible for a hijabi to do.

The hijab for me has been used as the backbone in a lot of accomplishments, allowing me to stand out in unique ways. My hijab allows me to better understand and sympathize with people of other cultures because I understand what it means to be looked at differently.

When I apply information as a girl wearing a hijab, I feel like I bring something special for hijabis as well as non-hijabis. This reveals a lesson about ability in terms of how having something different than the majority doesn’t diminish your chances of being just as successful in life.

When I hear about people being discriminated against, I feel as if I can relate to them because I know what it’s like to feel belittled.

In so many ways, many tragic occurrences I have heard about in the media allowed me to strengthen my character in the following areas: injustice, discrimination and undeserved stereotypes. It is easier for me to admire my passions and strengthen my character, especially since I am used to hearing about all of the heartbreak and discrimination hijabis have gone through in public.

One of the things I have learned from wearing the hijab is that personality is one of the only things you can sincerely cherish, no matter how you look. By wearing the hijab and becoming more involved in both the Muslim and non-Muslim community, people are more likely to listen to what I have to say, which opens up opportunities for others. This makes me feel like a superhero in my hijab because there is nothing better than living in times of positive breakthroughs.

Hadeal Rizeq, Writer

Hey everyone, I’m back!  I feel really thankful for being a senior this year and moving forward toward what the future holds (although it feels a little...