5k fundraiser delivers positive community experience

Park police commission aims to grow youth development

Junior+Libby+Ramsburger+runs+with+her+dog+alongside+fellow+classmate+Ben+Klepfer+during+the+5k+run+held+on+April+29.+
Junior Libby Ramsburger runs with her dog alongside fellow classmate Ben Klepfer during the 5k run held on April 29.

Grace Farley

Grace Farley

Katie Hardie and Sophie Olmen

When police advisory commission member Ellen McDaniel decided to initiate a 5k fundraiser for the city of St. Louis Park, she knew she would need the help of Park’s police department.

“I personally had the idea with one of the head coaches of the Park Flyers team probably about five years ago to plan a 5k,” McDaniel said. “It’s been a long time coming, but since I’ve been a member of the police advisory commission, I figured it would be an easier way to plan a 5k with the support of the police department and the city.”  

According to McDaniel, the fundraiser took place April 28, and was open to everyone. The resulting proceeds went to Park Flyers and the police explorers from the St. Louis Park police department.

“Part of registration costs went to each running group,“ McDaniel said. “Anything that was left over from sponsors and from registration is going to be divided equally amongst the group.”

Junior Brendan Johnson said he was very happy with the fundraiser’s atmosphere.

“I really enjoyed doing it because you don’t have to worry about competition, you can just go out and run at your own pace,” Johnson said.

Johnson also said that even though he and many others ran it, not all Park Flyers were able to attend.

“Our club pulls in people from all around the Minneapolis area and from places even further, so there were a few people who were not able to make it,” Johnson said.

Junior track athlete Lexi Lee also gave praise to the 5k and its leisurely nature.

“I enjoyed it. I ran it with two of my good friends, so it was fun.” Lee said. “I didn’t train specifically for the 5k. I didn’t race it, I just ran it for fun.”

McDaniel said that overall, the run proved to be a triumph for the community.

“I would call a success. I’ve heard that if you get about 80 people to sign up for your first (5k), you’re doing well, and the overall registration at the end was 118,” McDaniel said. “We had great feedback, and there was great weather, so I think for the first year, it went really well.”

Due to all the positive feedback, McDaniel expressed the possibility of making the fundraiser an annual event for St. Louis Park.

“The goal for me is to make it an annual run and just to increase the numbers as much as we can—to make it more of a community event.”

Sophie Olmen, Sports Editor

Hi my name is Sophie Olmen and I am the sports editor for the Echo. Fun fact I have two middle names and I am also a senior this year. I play tennis, basketball and softball. I enjoy spending time at my cabin and doing random stuff. I have a golden retriever and I love her very much.

Thanks for visiting my profile.