New club continues legacy

Socio-Political Discussion club selects new leadership

New club continues legacy

Co-presidents and Seniors Eli Curran-Moore and Ryan Lee formed the club early this year and recently passed on the torch to junior Cailey Hansen-Mahoney.

Esther Gendler

Esther Gendler

Esther Gendler

Ndunzi Kunsunga

After being named next years president, junior Cailey Hansen-Mahoney said she is excited for the future of a club reflecting the changes in the political climate.

“Next year is going to be a really good year,” Hansen-Mahoney said. “There have been a lot of interesting things that have happened politically in the U.S and there’ll be way more to come next year especially as we’re heading toward the midterms.”

Hansen-Mahoney said she hopes to integrate more members into the club.

“I hope I can diversify the people who participate in the club, not only racially but also politically,” Hansen-Mahoney said. “We had a lot of diversity but I really want more and it’s always more fun when we have super lively discussions.”

Club originator senior Ryan Lee said he appreciates the knowledge the club will exist beyond his graduation

“It’s awesome to have started something and to be able to pass on the torch,” Lee said. “It’s a good feeling to be able to know it’ll keep going because it’s a fun club and a lot of people can enjoy it.”

Club adviser Scott Miller said he has enjoyed watching the club grow in its first year and looks forward to it’s future.

“I have always taken the approach that this is their club and I’m just facilitating it through allowing them to use my room and supervise it,” Miller said. “I love that it’s grown organically and it’s student lead. So I applaud if there’s an interest and those guys can find new leadership. I think it’s fantastic.”

Lee said, as the former leader, choosing Hansen-Mahoney as his successor was an obvious choice.

“It wasn’t really much of a decision. Cailey has been really instrumental in bringing in new members to the club so we really didn’t have to think very hard,” Lee said.

Lee said he believes Hanson-Mahoney will do a good job guiding the club and incorporating new members.

“I think that she can bring in a lot more people and she’ll do a good job of leading and look forward to what she gets done in the future,” Lee said.

Hanson-Mahoney said she encourages anyone who has an interest to join the Socio-Political Discussion club.

“Please join, you don’t have to know a lot about politics. But it’s a really fun club with a great group of people,” Hansen-Mahoney said.

Ndunzi Kunsunga, Profiles Editor

Hi I’m Ndunzi/Jason and I am the champion. When I’m the center of attention everyone gets a sheer heart attack so don’t stop me now. I’m a nice...

Esther Gendler, Photographer

Hi! I'm Esther like the Queen. I'm a photographer for the Echo. My favorite things are Ruthie Hope,Taylor Swift, my dog, Crocs and Ultimate frisbee. I...