Roots and Shoots starts year with numbers

Club focuses on local environment

Senior+Roots+and+Shoots+president+Katie+Christiansen+works+with+club+members+to+organize+what+they+plan+to+do+this+year.+
Senior Roots and Shoots president Katie Christiansen works with club members to organize what they plan to do this year.

Abigail Prestholdt

Abigail Prestholdt

Katie Hardie and David Bryant

With the beginning of St. Louis Park environmental club Roots & Shoots, Senior and leader of the club Katie Christiansen said she was thrilled with the numbers of the first club meeting of the year.

“I feel really good, there was a lot of people today. I wasn’t expecting the numbers we got so it shows a lot of people are interested in the importance of the environment,” Christensen said.

Junior Zoe Frank said they were increasing their involvement in the club from last year by helping with goals the club has and attending the meetings.

“I’m really interested in the environment and saving the planet. Starting last year I got pretty involved in the club; I’ve attended all the meetings, and I’ve signed up for commissions to help move things forward,” Frank said.

Christensen said the increase in numbers will allow new opportunities for Roots & Shoots.

“There was a lot of things I wanted to do last year that just didn’t happen because we didn’t have the people, the resources, or whatever. I think with all the new people this year will create more opportunities we didn’t have last year,” Christensen said.

Senior, Anna Kasper said she is excited for both discussion in the club and action on their plans.

“I’m excited to really get involved in the various projects like the composting program and discussion about the mining in the boundary waters,” Kasper said.

Christensen said her the clubs goals for the year revolves around furthering the climate action plan through things like composting at the school.

“We are going to be talking to the superintendent about how we can get the school to go about committing to our climate goals,” Christensen said. “It was a huge process with the climate action plan and I assume it’s going to be similar with the school so it will probably involve how we present a resolution, scheduling that and what that resolution is going to entail.”

The next Roots and Shoots meeting is in room A310 On Tuesday, September 18th at 8:00 Am.

Katie Hardie, Multi-media Editor

Hey there! My name is Katie and I am Echo’s resident multi-media editor. In my free time I love to cook with friends, watch Netflix originals, read YA...