Voting judging allows involvement

Exploring alternative ways to take action

Voting judging allows involvement

Yonah Davis

Following the news cycle over the past few months, I have become increasingly frustrated with the direction of our country. I was excited to learn about the opportunity to become a voting judge during the midterm elections, which permitted me to be involved in the democratic process, despite not being able to vote.

Prior to election day, I attended two training sessions regarding the procedures and technology used during the election. These trainings demonstrated how seriously St. Louis Park takes voting and the extent to which they ensure everyone’s voice is heard through the extensive security procedures regarding the ballots.

Sitting in the technology training class, I had the opportunity to assist an older woman practice with the iPad technology. It was heartening to see other students from the high school interspersed with the older generations who are usually associated with this role.

When I arrived at city hall for my shift, I was immediately put to work. Primarily, I checked in voters and assisted them in the registration process. Often I encountered people who needed to update their registrations due to an address or name change. Throughout the afternoon, there was a consistent flow of voters with a few after-work rushes and the tally on the ballot counting machine steadily increased.

By the end of the day, over 80 percent of our precinct had reported to vote, contributing to Minnesota having the highest voter turnout in the nation. As we closed the polls and began the cleanup procedures, I felt proud to have contributed to the democratic process, despite my ineligibility to vote.

Yonah Davis, Video

My name is Yonah Davis, but I am more commonly known as the king of broadcast. My life consists of baking cookies for teachers and editing videos. If you...