Unique experience expands horizons

Unique experience expands horizons

Jenna Cook

As a freshman, I would have told anyone that I couldn’t see myself travelling south of the equator anytime soon. Now, as a senior, I am excited and grateful to have been able to experience Latin America in a completely individualized, one-of-a-kind way.

I travelled with a close friend to her hometown in Medellin, Colombia and stayed with her family, who basically adopted me for two weeks. Her mother became my own, and I served as a  second big sister to her younger siblings. Exploring a different country with locals rather than as a tourist opened my eyes to so many things I wouldn’t have seen otherwise.

As an added bonus, I was able to practice and hone my Spanish skills, picking up on sayings and region-specific slang I was previously unfamiliar with. My temporary family was very patient with me, explaining the meaning behind each foreign phrase.

Having spoken Spanish from a young age, I came to realize that the version of the language I spoke lacked depth and was completely oversimplified. I learned that I can’t really know the language before being able to apply it with native Spanish speakers.

Almost every meal I ate was fresh and home-cooked, which helped me taste even more of the culture in the country. All the food was served with overwhelming Colombian hospitality, and everyone I met welcomed me with open arms and incredible manners.

The stigma around Colombia was something I hadn’t thought of too much before departing for the supposedly dangerous country. While there, I learned about Pablo Escobar’s history, who got rich by selling cocaine internationally. While I had heard of him before, I never fully comprehended the negative lens he put around Colombia to the rest of the world.

I was able to hear firsthand about some struggles endured by locals, which helped me completely disband the idea that Colombia was a dangerous country rather than a place full of people with hopes and dreams. My experience has inspired me to continue travelling the world, making an effort to immerse myself into new cultures.

Jenna Cook, Copy Editor

Hi sisters! My name is Jenna and I am a senior as well as one of the Echo’s lovely copy editors this year. My interests include Netflix, trashy YA novels...