Measuring up to victory

Marissa Iversrud

Adviser Jennifer Magdal hosts Science Olympiad in her classroom

Ari Weinstein, Minor Staffer

Science Olympiad team aims to reach State

There is a lot of chemistry between junior Declan Fruchtman and the Science Olympiad team.
Fruchtman, a captain for Park’s Science Olympiad team, was drawn to the Science Olympiad team last year. Fruchtman said he hopes the team can reach state this year.
“My favorite part of Science Olympiad is when everyone gets medals after all of our hard work,” Fruchtman said.
Fruchtman also said the team lost a lot of members who graduated this past year, but he said he still expects the team to fare just as well.
“There are a couple of new faces, but the team is mostly just people from last year,” Fruchtman said. “It’s not a huge group, but we’re comfortable with each other and we can work together more easily with fewer people.”
Science Olympiad coach Jennifer Magdal said this year the students on the team are more committed to advancing in the playoffs than in previous years.
“I think (the team) is motivated because we’ve been one off from qualifying for State for two years,” Magdal said. “This year, the fire is under them to not be one off, and to actually qualify.”
Sophomore teammember Evan Vandeneinde said that teamwork is necessary to place well in the Science Olympiad.
“My goal is to (advance to) State, but it’s only possible if the team actually commits to that goal,” Vandeneinde said. “If everyone gives it their all, it’s very reasonable for us to reach State.”
The Science Olympiad’s next meeting will occur on Monday, Oct. 29 in Jennifer Magdal’s room A308 before school.