Junior brings big ideas to GSA

Activist aims to promote acceptance

Will Huyck

As the Gender Sexuality Alliance (GSA) continues to push for equality, one member in particular, junior Kaleb Schweizer, has very progressive thoughts on current gender and sexual equality issues.

When he is not working on his school work or spending time with friends, Schweizer said he, along with his GSA peers, contemplates the problems facing people of different genders and sexualities.

Schweizer, a pansexual, said he felt inspired to join GSA shortly after he came out.

“I came out to my friends as pansexual in 9th grade. This means I don’t identify with any certain gender and can be attracted to either sex,” Schweizer said. “Soon after (I came out), I was introduced to GSA. It’s a warm, welcoming place for everyone regardless of your sexuality or gender.”

Schweizer said he has ambitious ideas for the future of the gay community.

“Now that the battle with gay marriage is over, I believe that the next step is to rid society of gay stereotypes and to promote acceptance of all genders and sexualities,” Schweizer said. “We can do this by showing people that we’re no different than them and that we’re all human.”

Schweizer said he believes stereotypes and labels are responsible for stopping society from achieving a gender-equal society.

“I feel that men have been written off as the monsters of society,” Schweizer said. “While women have been stuck with the ‘housewife’ stereotype.”

Schweizer said he has a more optimistic outlook for the transgender community.

“I think eventually, there will be acceptance. However, just like the gay community, there is a lot of stigma and bullying,” Schweizer said. “The near future will be hard, but the big picture looks very good.”