GSA begins podcast production

Recordings aim to educate faculty

Madam Sweeney, Thomas Bryant and Elise Bargman work together during a meeting Nov. 3.

Sophia Skinner

Sophia Skinner

Will Huyck

The Gender Sexuality Alliance plans to expand its mission of educating allies on issues LGBTQ students face by making podcasts.

According to Gender Sexuality Alliance (GSA) adviser Kyle Sweeney, the podcasts will inform staff members on how they can be an effective ally of the GSA.

Sweeney said these podcasts resulted from questions faculty members asked the GSA.

“The staff wanted to know more about the definitions of terms like LGTBQ and more about the challenges that LGBTQ students face,” Sweeney said. “The kids in the GSA picked different topics that they thought were important and they’re going to write a draft and then they’ll make audio podcasts.”

According to Sweeney, GSA will gradually release the podcasts throughout the school year.

“I think that they’ll come out over the whole school year, so we’ll make a couple and then post them,” Sweeney said. “We just started working on them last week so there might be some released as soon as early December.”

Junior GSA president Elise Bargman said she hopes the podcasts will succeed in their mission of educating faculty members.

“My hope is that it’ll do a good job of giving them the background knowledge that they might not have otherwise had, and help them come up with scenarios and ideas that they might not have otherwise come up with for how they can support their LGBTQ students,” Bargman said.