Israel Advocacy Club to write leadership statement

Message aims to educate, engage

Junior Sam Orloff leads the Israel Advocacy Club meeting Feb. 24 where the club met to discuss the future plans for the club.

Alyssa LeMay

Alyssa LeMay

Will Huyck

Junior Amira Stone grows ecstatic as she discusses the benefits of community involvement that would come from an Israel Advocacy-released leadership statement.

According to Stone, the club’s vice president of outreach, the leadership statement intends to educate the public and increase awareness of the club’s mission.

“This is a statement designed to help the public understand the club’s purpose,” Stone said. “There is also some talk about submitting it to the congressional record, but that’s still in the works.”

Stone said the project is still in its early stages but plans to begin in the near future.israel-advocacy-club-cycle-5-new

“So far, it has been looking at other examples of leadership statements and discussing where we want ours to go,” Stone said. “We’re planning on coordinating the writing aspect soon.”

According to junior club officer Noah Smith, the statement engages both local legislators and the student body through community involvement.

“It will incorporate the support of other student leaders,” Smith said. “If we submit it to the congressional record, that’ll help raise awareness amongst politicians.”

Smith said he thinks releasing the statement will help the club become more involved in the community by catching the public’s attention.

“This is a big step forward for the outreach part of our mission,” Smith said. “I think the community will be interested in the topic of youth involvement in Israeli issues and will want to get involved themselves.”

Anyone looking to get involved with the Israel Advocacy Club can attend its next meeting in C361.