Fall musical delays film club meeting

Presidents strive for set schedule following play

Senior film club president Ben Romain rehearses his role of Young Edward Bloom in the fall theater production Big Fish. Film club presidents all have roles in the play, preventing them from holding film club meetings.

Cecil Jacobson

Cecil Jacobson

Alex Balfour, Hannah Leff, and Izzy Leviton

According to senior film club president Ben Romain, the fall musical, “Big Fish”, occupies the time of all three presidents, not allowing time for film club meetings.

“It’s just really busy for (Lukas, Emma and I) because we have theater, so that takes up our afterschool from 3:30 to 6:00 basically every day of the week,” Romain said.

Junior president Emma Kempf said a majority of film club participates in theater as well.

“Theater has taken up, not only all three of the presidents’ time, but also a lot of the people who participate in film club’s time,” Kempf said. “There has not been a time after school when we’ve been able to meet, but we are hoping to meet again in mid to late November.”

Film club adviser Andrew Carlson said the club’s goal was to meet occasionally, first to watch a film and then discuss it.

“(The presidents) were looking to meet every two weeks, but with the musical that is kind of getting in the way of meeting,” Carlson said. “We wanted to watch a film one week and then a couple weeks later come back and doing some sort of discussion or analysis of the film.”

Romain said at the last meeting, members gathered to watch a movie, but have not met again to discuss the film.

“The last film club meeting we watched “Whiplash” and so the next (meeting) we were going to talk about the movie, like everyone’s opinions about it and then maybe start watching another movie,” Romain said.

Romain said he hopes to continue meetings once the fall musical is complete.

“After the show weekends we’ll be able to start back up,” Romain said.

According to Carlson, the club has began the process of choosing the next movie they are going to watch and they are left with a few choices.

“We went through a bunch of films and votes on which films we wanted. We were looking at “ET” or maybe the “Wizard of Oz,” so some films like that,” Carlson said.

According to Kempf, film club also plans to take trips outside of school.

“We want to watch a lot more movies and discuss them,” Kempf said. “We would also like to do movie theater excursions, so doing stuff that’s not just inside of school.”

According to Kempf, students can join “SLP Film Club” on Facebook for updates and notifications about future film club meetings.