New dance club teaches hip-hop

Group to perform routines at basketball games

Park%27s+new+dance+team+practices+one+of+their+routines%2C+choreographed+by+coach+Tontiana+Kendricks%2C+in+the+Dakota+Foyer+after+school+Nov.+1.+The+team+is+rehearsing+multiple+different+routines+which+they+will+perform+at+boys%27+basketball+games+this+winter.+
Park's new dance team practices one of their routines, choreographed by coach Tontiana Kendricks, in the Dakota Foyer after school Nov. 1. The team is rehearsing multiple different routines which they will perform at boys' basketball games this winter.

Maggie Klaers

Maggie Klaers

Maria Perez Barriga

After hearing from staff members that students wanted a dance team, coach Tontiana Kendricks said she felt compelled to teach the dancers.

“It was brought to my attention by staff at Park that there were students who were interested in creating a hip-hop dance team. The staff expressed the passion the students had and how they’ve been working towards this for some years now,” Kendricks said.

Kendricks said her familiarity with dance made her want to coach the dance team and teach students hip-hop.

“Due to my experience with dance, I was highly interested in becoming a part of this upcoming dance team,” Kendricks said.

Kendricks said she wants more people to join the dance team.

“I encourage all students to join, who are interested or have ever been curious about dancing. You will really enjoy what I am able to bring to the table and offer through dance,” Kendricks said.

Sophomore Abby Salzer said the dance team is a good opportunity for those who have not danced before.

“It sounds like it’s going to be really cool, and they get to dance at basketball games, and it will be a fun experience for those people who never danced before,” Salzer said.

According to Kendricks, multiple students attended the club’s first meeting, Oct. 8.

“The first meeting went well. It was an informational meeting on the expectations for the dance year. I was able to meet a lot of students who were curious and interested,” Kendricks said.

Junior Miriam Hope said this year’s dance team is more organized than in previous years.

“It seems a lot more put together than the other dance clubs that we had, so that’s why I would encourage other people to do it if they’re interested,” Hope said.

Kendricks said the students who attended the club’s first practice on Oct. 15 were able to learn the dance.

“The first practice was Monday, Oct. 15, and four students showed up. They caught on very quick and practice went really well,” Kendricks said.

Kendricks said she wants to thank the High School for allowing her to coach this year’s new dance team.

“I just want to again thank Park for such a warm welcome. I encourage all those who have a passion for dance or want to see what the dance team has to offer, to join,” Kendricks said.

For more information on the dance team, visit the athletic office where students can pick up forms to join. 

Practices are on Mondays from 3:15 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. and on Thursdays from 5 p.m to 6 p.m. in the Dakota Foyer.

Maria Perez Barriga, Writer

Hey! My name is Maria and I am a sophomore. I like to play soccer and binge watch tv shows and movies on Netflix. I like to hang out with friends and be...