Seniors use passion, create puzzle club

Extracurricular builds problem-solving skills

Senior+Greta+Long+sits+and+laughs+on+top+of+a+lab+table+in+room+A313+alongside+her+fellow+puzzle+club+members.+Long+is+a+co-president+of+the+club+with+fellow+senior+Claire+Middleton.+

Seniors use passion, create puzzle club

Senior Greta Long sits and laughs on top of a lab table in room A313 alongside her fellow puzzle club members. Long is a co-president of the club with fellow senior Claire Middleton.

Grace Farley

Grace Farley

Grace Farley

Yonit Krebs

After bonding with biology teacher Julie Schilz over puzzles, seniors Claire Middleton and Greta Long decided to create their own puzzle club, according to Middleton.

“It started about a month ago, so we met the first week of November,” Middleton said. “We meet up and work on jigsaw puzzles, and we have snacks.”

According to Middleton, she and Long started the club because they thought others might share their passion.

“Me and Greta met up after school and ended up doing puzzles at her house a lot, and there are puzzles in the library, and me and a bunch of friends started doing those puzzles too,” Middleton said.

Schilz said she, Middleton and Long learned of each other’s love of puzzles because they are her student aides.

“On days that I don’t have stuff for them to do, they would always go to the media center and do puzzles and then they noticed other people in the media center being interested in puzzles,” Schilz said.

Senior Danny Hunegs said Long and Middleton convinced him to join their club since he shares a class with them.

“They mentioned that they’re in a puzzle club, and I already have to stay after school on Thursday so I thought, ‘that sounds interesting,’” Hunegs said. “I’m not really into puzzles but puzzle club’s made me be more into puzzles now.”

Hunegs said he enjoys seeing the progress the group makes on its puzzles as a team.

“My favorite part of the puzzle club is this one puzzle we were working on and it’s a junk food compilation,” Hunegs said. “It is exciting to see the progress we’ve made on a puzzle.”

According to Schilz, the group has only finished one full puzzle so far, but have plans to start new ones.

“I think (the puzzle) was a 1,000 piece puzzle, but that one was a bunch of different candy wrappers, food wrappers, and it was challenging,” Schilz said.

Schilz said her classroom is also an ideal spot for the puzzle club.

“They also like that my room is a good spot because we have the good lab tables and they can spread out,” Schilz said.

According to Middleton, although the club consists of mostly seniors, they have yet to discuss any plans for the club’s longevity.

“I think right now it’s just mostly something fun, but if people wanted to keep it going there’d be no problem with it succeeding past us,” Middleton said.

According to Middleton, the club meets after school Thursdays in room A313.

Yonit Krebs, Managing Editor

Yo it’s pretty neat that I’m a managing editor this year! One of my favorite activities is to eat Wacky Mac on a porch on Friday afternoons. My favorite...