National Honor Society inducts members

Juniors and seniors attend ceremony

National Honor Society inducts members

NHS Vice President Senior Marian Mohamud inducts incoming Vice President junior Maggie Klaers at the NHS induction ceremony May 3 in the old gym. NHS inductees' families were invited to the ceremony and breakfast was provided.

Ruby Stillman

Ruby Stillman

Ruby Stillman

Megan Raatz

On May 3, those who met the necessary requirements were inducted into the National Honors Society, an organization established to recognize hard working high school students.

According to junior Amelia Ryan, the necessities for each grade vary, but the group assists a variety of students.

“For juniors I believe you have to have a 3.75 GPA or higher, you have to get in 30 hours of volunteer work and 3 group projects,” Ryan said. “If your a senior you need to have a 3.5 gpa and 20 hours of volunteer work and also 3 group projects.”

Ryan said she feels the event went smoothly, and she is proud of all the inductees.

“The people who qualified for NHS and did all their community work got inducted, which is where they got a certificate,” Ryan said. “Everyones name got called up, for seniors they get a tassel on their graduation cap, and it’s a really cool experience — a lot of great students who take really hard classes, challenge themselves and help the community.”

According to junior Patrick Djerf not only were students inducted into the program, but several were inducted for officer positions next year.

“My position is the project managing officer so I coordinate and keep track of the group service projects that members of NHS do together,” Djerf said. “There are five officers, the other officers are president, vice president, historian, and I want to say public relations is the fifth.”

Ryan said she enjoyed the event and it was a positive experience overall.

“The induction was really cool, they had coffee and pastries before and it was cool to see all the students get called up,” Ryan said. “It was a really positive experience with a lot of staff members and some of the leaders of NHS also talked in front of everyone.”

The people who qualified for NHS and did all their community work got inducted, which is where they got a certificate.”

— Amelia Ryan

According to Djerf, NHS provides experience for students while showing them how they can better their communities.

“I do like being in NHS, I like how NHS inspires students to be involved in their community and how it encourages us to seek out opportunities to serve our community,” Djerf said.