Theater stays positive in the face of loss

‘Love/Sick’ competes in Sections, and losses

Abigail Prestholdt, Writer

Theater performed their one-act “Love/Sick” at Sections, placing fourth overall against other schools in Minnesota. Theater director Jodi Schifsky said the performance was well done and although the theater team did not do as well as they hoped, they still took advantage of the experience.

“(the performance) went very well. I think it was a very strong performance for both the actors and the technicians.” Schfisky said,

“We didn’t place in the top slot, but it is more of a chance to see what other schools are doing and showcase as well.” 

Tech crew member sophomore Caroline Butler, said the performance this year was unique, because of increased interaction with the audience. 

“It went really well. The audience probably interacted with us the most (out of the other performances). There was one judge who scored us second and the other two put us lower, so we were fourth overall,” Butler said.

Sophomore Shira Hanovich said there were obstacles the students had to overcome to perform in a different environment. 

“Their stage is a lot smaller, so for this show, it worked, but usually you have to condense everything. Their auditorium was in a different shape, so for production, you had to do it differently,” Hanovich said.

According to Schifsky the one-acts are judged based on the preferences of the judges on specific aspects of each performance.  

“All the performances were very strong and it’s just very subjective.” Schfisky said, “We have three judges. They each give us a ranking and it’s up to their taste in play selection, technical elements, performance, and sort of ensemble cohesion.” 

Butler said each of the competing schools performed entertaining plays, which made for tough competition.

“The other shows were really good, the group that won was the one that we all thought was the best one and should have won,” Butler said. 

Schifsky said the positive attitude of the theater students allowed the theater students allowed them to learn from other performances. 

“People were really happy for (Washburn) and there was a standing ovation for them. Immediately people got up and jumped to their feet screaming and cheering for another school, so it’s not so much about what we did not get,” Schifsky said, “it’s about seeing great theater and appreciating it.”