Casting an informed ballot

Teens weigh in on which issues are most important in the upcoming election

When junior Kaynan Appelbaum thinks about the upcoming election, he regularly considers the impact it could have on his future.

According to a study by the Washington Post, the issues most important to new voters or soon-to-be voters are expected to be the economy, education and social issues such as gay marriage.

In a poll conducted in social studies classrooms Oct. 24, 25, 26 and 29, Park students agreed with this statement. Economic issues were most important among some students, leading with 33 percent, with education policies coming in a close second at 27 percent.

Appelbaum said he feels the most important issues in the upcoming election are economic ones like taxes that will affect his life after high school.

“I feel that (taxes) are most critical because it’s important to me that the national debt be reduced when I start looking for a job,” Appelbaum said.

Senior Maggie O’Brien said social issues are most important to her because they affect people’s everyday lives.

“I prefer a candidate who has policies that don’t infringe on people’s rights,” O’Brien said.