Controversial dance cancelled

Administration ends tradition because of lewd content

After years of receiving complaints about the Homecoming senior boys’ dance, Principal Rob Metz ended the contested tradition.

In years past, senior boys performed the dance annually at the Homecoming pep fest. However, the sexual nature of the dance often draws negative feedback, Metz said. He added he receives many complaints because the pep fest is a school event, and staff and students are required to attend.

“In the past I have never attempted to cancel the dance. I have always tried to tone it down so it is funny but not offensive,” he said. “I have tried for six years and been unsuccessful. I doubt my attempts would have been successful next year.”

Civics teacher Brad Brubaker said he believes the administration’s failed attempts to moderate content provide justification for cancellation.

“Three years in a row now the administration has trusted the seniors only to have their promises broken,” he said. “As a school we have a responsibility to let them know lines have been crossed.”

Senior Oren Shapiro said although he was unable to participate in the dance because of scheduling conflicts, he likes the idea of it.

“I think it is awesome especially because it is raunchy, and it is a release for the senior boys,” Shapiro said.

Not all seniors agree with Shapiro however. Thaine Heller said he understands why students and staff especially find the dance inappropriate.

“I think it is offensive, but I do not take it as personally as the teachers do because they see the kids daily,” Heller said.

For some underclassmen and juniors, the cancellation of the dance comes as a disappointment. Junior Jose Leon said he does not agree with Metz’s actions and looked forward to performing the dance next year.

“I feel (cancellation) is absurd because I was excited to do it. It is a big part of St. Louis Park tradition,” Leon said.

Metz met with other principals from the North Suburban Conference teams to discuss alternative ideas for Homecoming events.

“My goal is that after next year, (juniors) will say the new event was the most fun ever,” Metz said. “We’re looking for something (to) replace it with that will be fun but not offensive.”