Raising awareness one hair at at a time

Senior Jim Andre sports facial hair

Student participation in No Shave November hopes to create increase donations to the American Cancer Society 

Football players may cover themselves with pink tape to raise support for those affected by breast cancer, but during November facial hair will be the common cancer awareness symbol.

Since 2009 the goal of No Shave November, a non-profit organization, is to have people grow out their facial hair, and donate the money usually spent on hair removal products to the American Cancer Society.

No Shave November encourages people to embrace their hair and appreciate it, because many cancer patients lose their hair during the healing process.

Junior Curtis Greenbush participates in No Shave November and said its purpose is much more encouraging than doing it just for fun.

“It’s a good cause and makes me want to do it more than once a year,” Greenbush said.

Greenbush understands that many students participate for fun, but said he believes if more students knew about No Shave November’s connection to cancer awareness, there would be more participation.

“The cancer aspect is not the the most well known part of No Shave November. They should use commercials and social media to spread the word for their cause,” Greenbush said.

St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital has promoted their own No Shave November fundraiser for the second year in a row. Those participating can shave if they or a third party donates $30 to the hospital. As a result, St. Jude has received more than half of their  $100,000 donation goal for this year.

Greenbush said he thinks this is not only a time to create cancer awareness but also a time to enjoy the low facial hair maintenance.

“It’s the one month in the whole year that people are allowed to be lazy and not shave,” Greenbush said. “People won’t tell me I look scruffy and tell me to shave.”

Although freshmen Olivia Sieff said she approves of the cancer awareness aspect, she dislikes the symbol for it.

“It’s great for raising cancer awareness but facial hair doesn’t look great on some people,” Sieff said.

Seiff also said the popularity of No Shave November at Park shows how younger students are becoming involved.

“It helps get the youth involved because more people will know about it and participate,” Seiff said.

As students enter the second half of November the scruffy facial hair look may be a personal way for some to show support for cancer awareness.