Waiting for doomsday

Artis Curiskis, Staff Writer

NASA attempts to dissuade believers of the apocalypse cause by the end of the Mayan calendar.
As doomsday preppers began stocking up on items for the believed Mayan apocalypse Dec. 21, sophomore Hadley Howard said she has decided the apocalypse will be another regular day in her life.
The idea that the cycle of evolution would restart Dec. 21 in the form of an apocalypse has spread through the internet, movies and books. The movie “2012” depicts multiple natural disasters during 2012 with references to the Mayan calendar. The Mayan culture believed this day would be the beginning of a new spiritually awakened age.
There are many different beliefs as to what will happen at the end of the Mayan calendar.
According to Practical Doomsday Preppers David Kobler and Scott Hunt, members of the National Geographic show, some believe that natural disasters will destroy civilization or that an electromagnetic attack will disable the government and create chaos.
Junior Patrick Halloran said he finds comfort in the idea of a positive restart for the world.

“I hope the world ends. We need a new start because there are so many disturbing things going on,” Halloran said.

National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) posted an article on their website disclaiming the apocalypse phenomenon. NASA hosted an hour long video of six astronomers answering questions about the apocalypse with the goal to dissuade people from believing in it. NASA explained that there is no threat to the planet or a possibility of a world wide blackout caused by the aligning of the universe.

Some students like senior Jackson Raynor researched the Mayan calendar and said they found answers proving the apocalypse will not occur.
“(The Mayan’s predicted apocalypse) is ridiculous. I have done research and their calendar just restarts on Dec. 21,” Raynor said.
Science teacher Julia Stanfield has watched shows about the Mayan calendar on the history channel and said she doesn’t believe an apocalypse is coming.
“I think it’s not going to happen. It’s like saying the world is going to end on Dec. 31 because that’s when our calendar ends,” Stanfield said.
Howard said she heard about many apocalypse predictions in the past that never happened and said these predictions have become repetitive for her.
“It’s not (going to) happen. People have said multiple times that an apocalypse is coming and they have never happened,” Howard said. “It is just going to be another regular day.”