Activities and Awards

School Board recognizes National Merit honors

Eight seniors were named as commended scholars and semifinalists for the National Merit Scholarship Nov. 26 at a School Board meeting.
Students recognized as semifinalists include seniors Sophia Temkin, Jackson Raynor and Thaine Heller.
Commended scholars include seniors Caroline Ahlgrim, Samantha Bremner, David Takata, Carter Robinson and Hannah Hein.
Semifinalists will enter another round of selection with a written essay to try to advance into the final round for the chance to earn a scholarship prize.
Temkin said receiving this award has helped her in the college process.
“It made me feel a lot better about my college applications because of this recognition,” Temkin said.
Following essay submission and scholarship applications, finalists will be notified of results in February.
Blood drive surpasses goal
Donation results exceeded Student Council’s goal by collecting 134 percent of its targeted amount at the biannual Memorial Blood Centers’ blood drive Nov. 30.
Operated by Student Council in conjunction with the Memorial Blood Centers, this event had more donors.
Heather Heyer, a recruitment representative with Memorial Blood Centers, said she felt the event ran very smoothly and there was a great turnout.
“The blood drive was very similar to those in the past, and people were just organized and on time,” Heyer said.
In total, 49 whole blood units and 18 double-red units were donated Nov. 30, a three-unit increase from last year’s drive.
Senior Ben Gruber gave blood Nov. 30 and said he benefited from giving.
“When you finish, the nurses tell you that you saved three lives, and that in itself is worth an hour of your time and a pint of your blood,” Gruber said.
Student Council hopes to host another blood drive March 14.