School offers first student-run alternative music club

New group focuses discussion on Indie artists

Park offers a wide array of activities from Jewish studies club and National Honor Society, to sports and a thespian society. Now, for the first time in Park’s history, the school boasts an Indie Music Club.
Seniors Gavin Christenson, Alex Nackerud, Collin Reyerson, Mitch Rotert and Henry Sutter posted fliers around the school for the new Indie Music Club in November, and the group’s Facebook page already has more than 60 members.
According to Christenson, the club was created to promote lesser-known music.
“We felt that the music with the loudest voice now isn’t what we prefer, and felt  that others might feel the same way,” he said.
Interested students can join the Facebook group, called SLP Indie Music Club.
“So far we’ve posted over 75 unique artists,” Christenson said.
Psychology teacher Greg Goddard is the adviser for the new club. He said he agreed to supervise the group because he believes in the power of music.
“Music is such a wonderful (form of) artistic expression,” he said. “It’s so important to life and I think music speaks to everyone, in all its forms and genres.”
The club meets every Wednesday after school in room C375, and participates in various activities involving Indie music, including general music discussion, favorite artist debates, an album book club and more.
Rotert said he is excited to engage with others about Indie music.
“One of the main things do is a music book club, so have an album each week that we are all supposed to listen to, and we will review it and analyze it,” he said.
Junior Brandon Dale attended the meeting Dec. 12, and said the book club was what interested him the most.
“I’m excited to listen to and talk about the new album,” he said.
Sophomore Ben McKone said he joined the club because he listens to Indie music instead of more popular music.
“A lot of the bands I like have a lyrical complexity, which makes it a more interesting and rewarding type of music to listen to,” he said.
Senior Taylor Miles said she agrees, saying the lyrics are what draw her in.
“The lyrics mean something,” she said. “You can tell the artist put a lot of thought into each word. It’s a lot like listening to Keats, Poe, Frost or Whitman set to music.”
Christenson said he enjoys Indie music but also thinks it is important to explore all genres.
“If you don’t expand your taste then you’re denying yourself,” he said. “It’s like watching only summer action blockbusters and not other movies.”