Reassessing mental health

Artis Curiskis, Staff Writer

Park provides support, resources for those suffering mental illnesses

Since the discovery of the mental illness of Adam Lanza, the shooter in Newtown, Conn., the National Rifle Association has taken the stand of tracking all mentally-ill people in America in attempts to prevent further mass killings.

National Rifle Association (NRA) executive director Wayne LaPierre spoke at a NRA press conference Dec. 21 where he discussed different ways to protect people from violent shooters. One idea proposed was a database comprised of all of the mentally ill people in the United States.

Executive director of the National Alliance on Mental Illness Minnesota (NAMIM) Sue Abderholden said this proposed database is detrimental for those with mental illnesses who are seeking help.

“(The NRA’s statement) will only further increase the stigma of mental illness and lessen the likelihood of people coming forward for treatment,” Abderholden said.

This label may also affect students in the school system. Abderholden also said she believes it is important to provide help to kids with mental health issues at a young age.

“We really want to start intervening in middle school, in high school and helping them get better,” Abderholden said.

Learning from the past

Two years ago, former Park student Michael Swanson, then aged 17, met criteria for being bipolar at PrairieCare mental health center as reported by the Star Tribune. In that same year he killed two people at gas stations in Iowa. After the killings, Swanson was sentenced to two life sentences in prison according to the Star Tribune.

In 2006, Swanson was in seventh grade and was in the process of being expelled from St. Louis Park Junior High claimed by the Star Tribune. During this time, an advocate for Swanson pointed out that the St. Louis Park School District did not provide obligatory psychological mental health assistance for him according to the Star Tribune.

In light of recent violent events involving mental ill individuals, Principal Rob Metz said Park  is reviewing the mental health services it offers.

“It does force us to go back and look at things such as the services for mental health,” Metz said.

Director of special services for St. Louis Park Public Schools, Tami Reynolds, said this school department assessment is helpful for Park to improve its program. A Minnesota Department of Education monitor arrived at the Senior High Jan. 18 to survey Park’s special education program and within its mental health services. The purpose of this review is to check that Park follows the federal laws on special education according to Reynolds.

Reynolds said the monitor from the department of education was impressed by the special education program at Park.

“We have created a strong reputation for being an inclusive program as a school district and community,” Reynolds said.

In a few weeks Reynolds said she is expecting to receive a verbal report on how the school district performed in accordance with the law. After, Park school district will receive a formal findings report that will list corrections that need to be made to the program.

Park provides support for students in need of help

Senior high social worker Jeremy Riehle works with students with mental health issues such as one anonymous student.

This student dealt with a mental health issue in the form of an eating disorder that began in eighth grade. The student is part of the more than 20 percent of children and adolescents who have a mental health problem according to the American Academy of Pediatrics.

During ninth and 10th grade, the student said  they missed large parts of school to receive treatment at Melrose Institute in St. Louis Park, and when the student was in school, they would meet with Riehle regularly.

“Riehle made it easier to get through school ,and he is a great source to talk to when you don’t want to tell anyone at home or tell your friends,” anonymous said.

When this student entered the senior high, they created an Individual Education Plan (IEP) with Barb Nelson and Riehle.

The plan helps students with mental health issues achieve their goals and meet school standards, while also ensuring students feel secure in the school system.

“Nelson and Riehle sent me my homework and made me not have to worry about losing credits,” anonymous said. “Without their help, I think I would have dropped out of school.”

Metz said Park’s mental health program is focused on school-related problems but can guide students in receiving out of school supervision.

“We try to help students become successful in school if they have mental health problems by trying to connect the families with medical professionals,” Metz said.

The mental health services provided by Park that Metz mentioned are very important to sophomore Mara Hathaway because they help students deal with mental health issues. She said she believes it is important for Park to continue to offer these services to those with mental health issues.

“If they obviously need help and are struggling in school, Park needs to give everyone an opportunity to improve,” Hathaway said.

Riehle said he works to supply mental health services to underserved populations. However, Riehle usually only helps students after being notified of their struggles.

“I get these referrals from students and teachers and sometimes the kids themselves,” Riehle said. “But there is a stigma in society about mental illness that often discourages kids from coming in for help.”

Riehle said he thinks one of the ways to combat the idea that those with mental health issues are dangerous is to speak openly about their struggles and the benefits of treatment.

“We can lessen the stigma by increasing awareness and acceptance of mental illness” Riehle said.

The anonymous student said they agreed with Riehle’s ideas for defeating the generalizations of mental health, and said it’s important for people to keep an open mind.

“You can’t always tell what is going on with someone by looking at them. They may be really struggling,” anonymous said. “Also, you never know how one little thing could affect someone.”

Although Riehle has helped students like anonymous, he said there is still a large group of students with undiagnosed issues and he hopes to help them in the future. He said he wants to provide them with resources to get better after treatment, but understands that due to the school’s training for counselors that might not be possible.

“Our main goal in the program is to support students and get them help, but we don’t normally do therapy or treatment because that’s not what we are trained to do,” Riehle said.