Students and staff remember the life of classmate

Freshman Carly Christenson passed away from complications of influenza Jan. 8.

Her mother, Sandy Christenson,

said Carly was a girl whose joy for life spread to those around her.

“Carly would make us laugh every day because laughing and having fun was the key to life in her book,” she said. “She was like a heat seeking missile looking to connect with anyone that wanted to laugh with her.”

One of her close friends, freshman, Olivia Sieff said Carly was a girl who put family and friends before everything else in her life.

“She had it figured out that the little things like classes or sports don’t matter, so she would spend all of the time she could with family and friends,” Sieff said.

According to Sandy, one of Carly’s favorite ways to spend time with loved ones was when she visited extended family in Grand Rapids, Minn., and Detroit Lakes, Mich. Another one of her close friends, freshman Neda Salamzadeh, said she cherished this time with family.

“Their whole family is really close, they were like four best friends,” she said. “They were the most important things in her life.”

Sieff said Carly was a great friend who always enjoyed adventure.

“She was always the crazy one,” Sieff said. “We once painted our faces just to go tubing. She was up for anything.”

English teacher Andy Wilkes taught Carly and said he noticed what a personable girl she was.

“It wasn’t as much about the academics for her as it was about the social side of things,” Wilkes said. “She knew and understood and connected with every kind of kid.”

When she wasn’t with friends or family, Carly played basketball and lacrosse and enjoyed photography. She also dreamed to one day become a pediatric nurse because she loved science and working with children, according to Sandy.

Wilkes said Carly’s passing impacted him by making him reevaluate how he perceives school and life in general.

“In some ways the things we obsess about teaching are futile, and really what’s important in education and teaching is the relationships you build,” Wilkes said. “In the end, the stuff about school is not really important. What’s important is the people.”

Sandy said Carly’s ability to see past life’s futilities left a lasting impression on her as well.

“She really knew what was important in life because she didn’t waste her time worrying about the small stuff,” Sandy said. “She really taught us so much in such a short time.”