Superintendent to step down

Superintendent to step down

Debra Bowers to leave administrative post in June

Park’s superintendent of nine years, Dr. Debra Bowers, has decided not to renew her contract this year and will leave the position in June.

Bowers, who has worked as the super- intendent since 2004, said she is pleased with the school district’s progress during her term. “I’m most proud of our support for innovation,” Bowers said. “I’m especially proud of the (Investing in Innovation) i3 grant, the elementary counseling grant, and the Cargill grant through which our best high school science teachers work with elementary school teachers.”

Principal Rob Metz said he is thankful for Bowers’ work in the district, and feels she is stepping down at a positive point in her career.

“She’s leaving the school in a good position financially and academically, with high-functioning schools, expansion of the International Baccalaureate program during her time in the district and our enrollment is up and climbing,” he said.

Sophomore Ben McKone said he is appreciative of Bowers’ continued commitment to introducing new academic advancements like the i3 grant.

“I think Dr. Bowers has done a good job of making sure the school is progressing academically” McKone said.

School board member Jim Yarosh said a decision still has to be made on who will be the new superintendent.

“We don’t yet know who will be the new superintendent,” Yarosh said. “We’re going through an internal search process with people who already work for the district. We might do a national search later if necessary.”

Bowers said she wants to make sure the incoming superintendent can get acclimated quickly by aiding them to the best of her abilities.

“I want to make sure there’s a smooth transition,” Bowers said. “I will support the new person in any capacity, and I will do as much work in the next months to put them in good shape to hand the job off to them.”

Bowers said she is very thankful to the community for their ongoing support during her time as superintendent.

“I think a major transition is bittersweet, and I haven’t yet had much time to reminisce,” Bowers said. “I’m appreciative of how the school community has supported me, and we’re stronger after working together. I’m very appreciative to have had the opportunity to be St. Louis Park’s superintendent.”

Dr. Bowers said she plans to pursue teaching at the collegiate level, or a career helping other school districts progress academically.