Black History Month moves into modern age

Students create digital videos to depict stereotypes

Whether it’s walking into class late or being the only black student in an honors class, senior Kevin Buckhalton said he uses Black History Month performance to address stereotypes,  which remind him of similar experiences he has had at park.

The Black History Month performance “This About That” will be shown hours 2 and 4 Feb. 22 in the auditorium. The performance will feature student-made videos, world drumming exhibition and poetry readings about racism in school and society that affect teens.

Staff adviser Chris Weaver said the students wanted to move away from the old structure of a live play and storytelling, and take a more contemporary approach.

“The videos convey the message more clearly and are also more accommodating to students who could not commit extensive amounts of time after school to rehearse a play,” Weaver said. In order to make participation available, digital video skits made by students will be the alternative to the play performed in the past.

Sophomore Amira Warren who directed and scripted the videos, said they bring attention to stereotypes within the high school that not only affect black students, but also students of all races.

“By writing the scripts for the videos each with different messages it allowed for a more creative approach and greater detail” Warren said.

The message of the videos creates an opportunity for students outside the black community to be involved and bring attention to stereotypes they’ve experienced.

Buckhalton, who portrays a black student in an honors class who is victimized because of his race, said he hopes the performance will shed light on the struggles of black students in school.

“I want to bring attention to the way black students are treated in honors classes because it’s not right,” Buckhalton said. “I have been put in that position so I feel that is important that students at Park see the stereotypes.”

Senior Allison Boettcher said she wanted to participate in the Black History Month performance to bring awareness to stereotypes that caucasian Americans have contributed to throughout history. For Boettcher, being involved brings her closer to the issue of quality in African American community.

“I understand that some people are quick to judge, and I want to be a part of showing a relationship between black and white students,” Boettcher said.
The message of the Black History Month performance is to be accepting of African Americans who are breaking barriers and straying from stereotypes Weaver said. Weaver said he hopes to see many students attend the performance because it conveys an important lesson about stereotypes at Park.
“This About That is the way students in the African American community can put their story out in the open for their peers and adults to see their experience,” he said.