Technology to broadcast to new students

Televisions+hang+on+the+wall+in+the+C2+hallway+at+St.+Louis+Park+High+School.+
Lucas Kempf
Televisions hang on the wall in the C2 hallway at St. Louis Park High School.

Budget planning for 2013-2014 includes adding TV monitors across school

Contrary to popular belief, school administrators may now be trying to give students more daily screen time with planned updates for next year.
According to Principal Rob Metz, the school receives about $80,000 a year for various expenses. Traditionally, Metz said school uses this money for desks, carpeting or tables.
“Instead of buying boring things with the money, this year I hope to buy new paint and TV monitors for around the school,” he said.
Metz said the monitors would show updates about clubs and sports at the school, as well as news from around the community. He also said one monitor would be placed at the entrance to the district office, while the rest would be scattered throughout the school.
While junior Miles Bay agrees the monitors are an interesting idea, he feels the money could be spent better elsewhere.
“More TV means more screen time for students, which we definitely get enough of already,” Bay said. “The money should be used to clean up the school or for essential things like supplies, desks, and paper towels.”
Metz said in addition to promoting the school and community, the monitors would serve another purpose.
“Because we depend on a lot of open-enrolled students, having newer features would help attract students despite having an older school building,” Metz said.