Band turns to a different kind of playing

POPS centers around video games

Activities like “Tetris,” “Halo” and “Skyrim” have captivated audiences for years, but now they are invading Park’s band classes as well.
According to band teacher Steve Schmitz, this year’s POPS concert theme is “POPS the Game.” The music, set and skits are all inspired by video games.
Schmitz said he thinks the theme will connect to a variety of audience members.
“So many people of all ages and now guys and girls (play video games). So many people are into gaming, so there’s something in the show for everybody,” Schmitz said.
In addition to the theme, Senior Angela Robinson said she thinks the band’s practices will help make the concert a positive experience.
“The band is preparing with our full class period rehearsals working on usually only one song a day and  picking out all the little errors we find,” Robinson said.
Schmitz said he also thinks the student’s involvement in the concert will benefit it.
“It’s very student-led, which I think is great. Whenever students can lead something they have more pride and ownership in it and it carries over to everything else we do,” he said.
Similarly, Robinson said she thinks the band’s effort will make it a good concert for them.
“I’m expecting this concert to go well and be a lot of fun because we all have put a lot into the music and spent a lot of time on it,” she said.
The POPS concert will take place March 11. Pizza will be served in the cafeteria at six and the concert will begin in the auditorium at seven. Tickets cost $6 for students and seniors and $10 for adults. They can be purchased from band students or at the door.