Extra security measures implemented in B1 hallway

Grade Level Coordinator (GLC) Marcy Hietala supervises B1 hallway as a part of new security measures implemented.
Lucas Kempf

New desk monitor set to supervise those entering and exiting building

The administration has added an additional security post in the B1 hallway between the pool and field house doors.

The desk provides Grade Level Coordinator (GLC) Marcy Edgar a place to supervise the potentially vulnerable entrances. For now, Edgar will be the only GLC at the B1 desk, but this may change in the future according to vice principal Scott Meyers.

In addition to the new desk security, the pool doors and field house doors will be locked five minutes after school starts. The field house doors will reopen during 2nd, 3rd and lunch hours for seniors and students in community service. The field house doors will also be open during all four lunches for seniors.

Students and adults who enter the school from those doors during the school day will have to sign in with Edgar. Meyers said the security sign in at the B1 desk is for checking people who enter the building during the day.

“The biggest motivator for the desk is for tracking people getting into the building,” Meyers said. “We want to make sure we are checking so no one poses a threat,”

Although the B1 desk was not originally meant for supervising students in the hallway, Meyers said it may come as a result of the new security measures.

“Keeping students in school may be an indirect outcome of the additional security,” Meyers said.

The desk may provide supervision of students in the hallways and those leaving campus according to Edgar, however sophomore Angel Dominguez does not believe it will impede students from leaving the building.

“It is just pointless, they can try and stop people from leaving but they won’t listen and will continue to leave,” Dominguez said.