Park teachers get top grades

Meredith+Homans+%28not+pictured%29+and+Arika+Mareck+%28above+%29are+two+St.+Louis+Park+district+teachers+selected+as+semi-finalists+in+this+years+Teacher+of+the+Year+competition.+
Khadijah Bint-Ali
Meredith Homans (not pictured) and Arika Mareck (above )are two St. Louis Park district teachers selected as semi-finalists in this year’s Teacher of the Year competition.

Education Minnesota recognizes excellence in education 

The new semester brings praise to those who have been identified by Education Minnesota as being committed to educational greatness.

Arika Mareck, a language arts teacher in the non-traditional track and student writing specialist at Park, as well as sixth grade middle school teacher Meredith Homans, are both semi-finalists for the the teachers’ union Teacher of the Year award from Education Minnesota.

Mareck said she is incredibly honored by the nomination, as well as grateful for her fellow high school teachers.
“I am very humbled by the nomination,” Mareck said, “but I feel that all of the teachers should be recognized, because I could not have been able to be in this position without all of their support.”
Mareck also said she sees the benefits of different teaching styles as subjective.
“There isn’t a ‘right’ way of teaching,” Mareck said. “It just depends on who is judging them.”
One of Mareck’s students, Senior Timesha Noble said she sees Mareck’s love and dedication for the students.
“She is really loving and caring and goes out of the way to make sure students have what they need to succeed,” Noble said.

Junior Maia Liss said she thinks it is really great that Park has two teachers in the running.

“It’s really cool that Park is represented. Our teachers deserve to be recognized,” Liss said. “It’s especially cool that we have two teachers nominated.”

39 semifinalist teachers are vying for the distinction of Teacher of the Year. According to Education Minnesota, the honor is a way to recognize those who have worked for academic excellence, which is often underappreciated.