Learning lab to stay

Jonah Resnick
Math man: Math resource room instructional assistant Will Tanberg helps sophomore Aedan Foster and freshman Toviya Slager with math problems.

Math assistant will return to current position

Students who were concerned about the math resource room not being sustained for next year do not need to worry anymore.

The $1.3 million Small Learning Communities (SLC) grant ends next year. The administration has been working to finalize how Park will adjust to lack of funding.

This grant covers math resource room instructional assistant Will Tanberg and counselor Jeremy Riehle. Tanberg will stay at the math resource room according to Principal Rob Metz.

“We will have the math resource room next year in some capacity,” Metz said. “Tanberg might be there for a little less time, but in some form we can keep it going.”

Metz said he has worked out a plan to fund the math resource room by borrowing money from each educational department.

“We will take a little supply money from each department,” Metz said. “But a little more from the math and science departments because most students visit the math resource room for help.”

Tanberg said he understands that possibly reducing the hours he will be at the math resource room may limit some students’ ability to work with him.

“Even now there are some students limited by the time frame,” Tanberg said. “Reducing the time might limit opportunities of some students to come, but it is better than not having it.”

Junior Allen Quan said it is very important to the student body that Tanberg will be back next year.

“I think it will be a beneficial opportunity because I see a lot of students who struggle with math and improve from working with Tanberg,” Quan said.

While Metz has a solution to keeping Tanberg at Park, the decision for mental health counselor Riehle’s future at Park is still being discussed.

“We are still looking at options and have not given up,” Metz said.

Despite difficulties presented by decreased grant funding, it is beneficial to students’ academic interests that the school is continuing to offer the math resource room.

While the loss of funding means it may be challenging to continue the programs provided by the Small Learning Communities (SLC) Grant, its positive impact on the school should make the math resource room a priority for the school.

Every week recorded, the math resource room received more visits than any other part of the learning lab.

In recorded weeks, 5,265 people visited the math resource room this year. Such high usage reflects the student demand for the math resource room.

It is commendable the school is making such a heavily used program a priority, especially because it furthers the school’s ability to cater to a variety of student needs.

The services offered by the math resource room help address the variety of student learning styles prevalent in the school.

While some students may find it easy to grasp a mathematical concept the way it is taught in class, others may find it more difficult to understand.

These students should have resources easily available to them so they can learn the concepts in a method better suited to their individual learning styles.

The math resource room is also beneficial in that it can help distribute students’ needs among different teachers.

Some students may desire more explanation than their teachers can provide while working with other classes.

Going to the math resource room may allow these students to receive this individual attention and increase their performance in their math classes.

Other students may want greater review of a topic before an important test or assignment.

While there may not be enough time to review these concepts in class, it could be provided in the math resource room without delaying the class schedule.

The administration should be praised for making the continuation of the math resource room a priority.

While the decreased funding may present challenges, such a popular program should be emphasized.

By continuing its support of the aid provided by the math resource room the school is making a smart investment in the students’ future.