Metz named superintendent

Conner Wickland
Staff members celebrate the School Board’s unanimous hiring of Superintendent Rob Metz on May 9, 2013. Metz announced his resignation Jan. 3. It will become effective June 30.

Unanimous vote concludes three-month search

After nearly 32 years in education with jobs ranging from teacher to principal, Rob Metz is ready to assume the duties of superintendent.

Metz was chosen unanimously by the School Board May 9. The Board consulted with School Exec Connect, a Chicago firm focused on finding school administrators.

Freshman Melanie Stiner, who attended meetings May 8 and 9 regarding the selection of the new superintendent, said she thinks Metz should integrate the school district and community.

“The superintendent should bring the community together,” Stiner said. “I would like to see more opportunities to know people (in the district)”

Metz said the community-driven aspect of the schools makes it unique compared to other districts.

“(Park) has a long history and that is an advantage for us because so many people from around the community care about the schools,” Metz said. “Only 15 percent of Park  residents have kids enrolled in the district, yet the other 85 percent often show strong support.”

Sophomore Anline Lezama said Metz’s history in the district will make him a strong superintendent.

“(Metz) is a good choice because he knows what he is doing,” Lezama said. “He has been principal for a while and has experience around the district.”

Metz said he and the board have started outlining a process for selecting a new principal.

“We will have no trouble finding a new principal,” Metz said. “People know this is a good district and have already started applying.”

Metz said a weakness in the district is the achievement gap between white and minority students.

“We are looking to truly close the achievement gap by aligning all schools and policies toward a common goal,” Metz said.

In addition, Metz said he plans to play an active role.

“What I am going to miss are the students, although I promise to be visible around the schools,” Metz said. “I cannot imagine being in school and not seeing students and teachers, because that is what I like about the job.”