Students, staff react to new technology policy

Mixed responses to personal electronic usage

Smartphones and other devices are now being introduced into classrooms to create a dynamic learning environment.

The Bring Your Own Technology (BYOT) program began April 12, under which students are able to register one personal electronic device to the school’s WiFi system.

Secondary technology trainer Angela Fransen said she is excited about the new program because of all the opportunities it could provide for increasing technology.

“I see it as a platform for future technology programs at St. Louis Park,” Fransen said. “It’s a small step toward incorporating more devices into the classroom.”

Fransen said in the future, the school may even move to a “One on One” program that has every student on their own device.

This would help incorporate more online learning in and out of the classroom, along with making sure every student has access to their own device to use.

Fransen said she thinks once teachers are more confident with BYOT it will be a helpful tool.

Math teacher Chad Austad said he plans on using the program in the future and is excited to learn more about it.

“I would use it to show my students what they can do at home, and not so much in the classroom,” Austad said.

Students also are adopting the new program with mixed emotions. Freshman Jordan Hutchins said he is excited for the new program to start.

“I’m also excited because there is so much on the Internet that can help you,” he said.

Hutchins, said he will spend most of high school using and benefiting from this program.

Junior Ethan Maisel said he thinks the program is a good idea, but he is skeptical about how it will play out in the classroom.

“At this point I’m going to stick to my pen and paper,” Maisel said. “So far none of my teachers have used it.”

However, not all students agree with Maisel. Junior Jackie Tshiteya said she is more optimistic about the program, because it would be helpful as long as it was monitored correctly.

“I think they just need more restrictions,” Tshiteya said.

The restrictions of the BYOT program include the right the school holds to access private information on any personal device a student is using under the Slp. Reg WiFi.

Because of this, sophomore Emmi Zheng thinks the program won’t succeed.

“In the long run, the program will just be a waste of the school’s resources,” she said.

Fransen said she wants to remind students the technology department does not have the time to check every students’ personal information on their devices.

“Although the school does reserve the right to access students information under the BYOT program,” Fransen said. “There’s no need to unless there’s a safety issue.”