Bomb threat deemed safe

Police, administration agree threat was unsubstantiated


Madisen Lynch

Additional police officers were present at the high school on Nov 5 due to the threat to safety.

Noah Robiner

Shortly after school Nov. 4, a bomb threat aimed at the high school for Wednesday, Nov. 5 was found in a classroom book at the school, according to interim Principal Scott Meyers. The threat was brought immediately to Meyer’s attention, who then called a meeting of the administration and decided to contact the police.

A full police investigation was opened to look into whether the threat was credible. Meyers said the investigation concluded around 8 p.m. Tuesday night after police and administration agreed there was no clear or present danger.

“When something like this happens, we contact the police immediately,” Meyers said. “They have a procedure for how to handle situations like these.”

A phone blast was sent by the school Nov. 4 around 8:30 p.m. to students, parents and faculty, providing information on the threat, the investigation and the conclusion that it was safe to come to school the following day.

Early Wednesday morning, all high school staff attended a meeting where the administration shared information regarding the threat.

Sara Thompson, Park’s director of communications, said although the threat is no longer deemed credible, the district is still investigating the incident.

“The most important piece of info right now is that the investigation into the threat has concluded,” Thompson said. “We continue to gather information about the disruption that this caused to the end of the school day yesterday and the start of the school day today.”

On Wednesday, additional police patrol cars were around the perimeter of the school in addition to an increased police presence inside the school.

Dozens of students decided to not come to school because of the threat. Senior Cora Iverson said she understands their concerns.

“I think a lot of people are scared something could happen,” Iverson said. “If I would have heard about it earlier, I probably wouldn’t have come.”

Students took to social media on Tuesday night and Wednesday to voice dissent over the administration’s announcement.

Senior Keenan Kneisl stated on Twitter Tuesday night Park is “cursed” and he doesn’t think students should attend school on the day following the threat. One of the top yaks on the anonymous mobile social media forum Yik Yak states the decision to keep kids in school shows “the district cares more about our grades than our safety.”

The district plans on continuing communication with parents and families.

“There will be more info going out to parents this afternoon as we get more info today,” Thompson said.

By the end of the day, students climbed back into their cars and boarded their buses to return home, safe.