Event hosted to honor outgoing superintendent

Rob Metz’s career celebrated at retirement reception

Outgoing+superintendent+Rob+Metz+thanks+community+members+and+district+officials+for+organizing+his+retirement+reception+on+Thursday%2C+May+18.+Metz+will+be+replaced+by+Astein+Osei+on+July+1.+
Outgoing superintendent Rob Metz thanks community members and district officials for organizing his retirement reception on Thursday, May 18. Metz will be replaced by Astein Osei on July 1.

Emma Kempf

Emma Kempf

Emma Kempf

Community members gathered to attend Rob Metz’s retirement reception on Thursday, May 18 at the Doubletree Hotel, commemorating his 19 year career in the district.

District communications director Sara Thompson said the community turnout helped to provide a celebratory atmosphere. 

“Rob Metz had a long tenure in the district, and there’s people here representing all pieces from his career,” Thompson said.

The reception featured various speakers including Metz himself and School Board Chair Jim Yarosh. Additionally, the reception saw performances from the Aquila Elementary School’s Theatre Arts Group, and a piano performance from Park sophomore Marco Giovanelli.

Giovanelli said that his performance was a form of rewarding Metz for his contributions to the community, and that the reception was a celebration of Metz’s tenure.

“It’s the community’s way of giving back to what he gave to us,” Giovanelli said.

Metz said he wanted to thank everyone who put the reception together and those school board members who helped raise money for the occasion.

“I really enjoyed seeing people from the past,” Metz said. “I saw students and teachers from when I was principal at Aquila, all the way through my high school days, to superintendent, so I’m just really proud to have worked at St. Louis Park all these years.”

Metz said he originally did not want a reception planned, but is now glad the event was organized.

“I’m a little bit of an introvert,” Metz said. “Really, people have done way more for me than I’ve done for them, and I’ve gained a lot over the years from being able to work at St. Louis Park. So, (the reception) gave me a chance to say thank you.”

Middle School principal Les Bork, who attended the reception, said he will miss Metz tremendously, and that Metz will be remembered as a listening leader who always put students first.

“He has been instrumental in bringing the Middle School to what it is today (…) where high academic learning is valued, and lots of opportunities for all kids are present,” Bork said.

Metz said he hoped the reception was a symbol of the legacy he hopes to leave behind.

“To keep (students) together in kind of the St. Louis Park way is something I’ve always tried to do, so this is representative of that,” Metz said.