‘Glow-coming’ to offer inclusivity

New location results in food, decorations

Photo art by Devin Raynor

Photo art by Devin Raynor

Photo art by Devin Raynor

Anna duSaire, Atticus Raasch, and Annabella Strathman

With the Homecoming dance occurring the second week of school, students’ faces won’t be the only things glowing.

According to Student Council advisor Lindenberg, the dance will feature glow-in-the-dark elements similar to that of a previous theme.

“There was a glow in the dark kind of theme a couple years ago before you guys got to the high school,” Lindenberg said. (People) bought a ton of glow sticks and people wore bracelets and that kind of thing.”

The Homecoming dance, hosted by the Student Council, will be at the high school this year, as opposed to an offsite location as in previous years.

Principal Scott Meyers said he is optimistic the change in location will allow more students to attend.

“My hope is that having (the dance) on site will allow for cheaper ticket prices, and people won’t have to make that tough decision,” Meyers said.

Senior George Hare said previous high ticket cost made attending the dance impractical.

“I think (the changes are) a positive thing, it’s less exclusive, when the dances are 100 for a date pair and its on the guy to pay, that’s stupid expensive,” Hare said.

Senior Ambriya Reese said higher prices and an off-site location made the dance feel like a special night.

“I did like going to the mall because that was fun,” Reese said. “There’s something about (the dance) at the mall, it was more glamorous.”

Lindemberg said Student Council is working to plan an inclusive event with entertainment that interests all students.

“I think the Homecoming dance committee has tried to put in some activities throughout the evening that will hopefully provide some different things for students to be involved in throughout the night,” Lindenberg said. “People can kind of look forward to later in the evening.”

According to Lindenberg, previous venues restricted decorations, food and other activities to enhance the dance experience.

“In past years Student Council has been limited in the amount of food and decorations they are able to have due to the venues. Lindenberg said. “The change in venue will allow for more opportunity when decorating the gym to fit the Glowcoming, glow in the dark theme of the dance.”

Lindenberg said students will be permitted to leave the dance earlier than in prior years.

“What I’m imagining will happen is that students will be able to leave when they want but they are not allowed to come back in if they leave,” Lindenberg said.

According to Meyers, the administration has no plan for informing parents of the student’s’ option to leave.

“There has not been a discussion about whether there would be a notification home, probably a more realistic plan, might be to note take when people leave just so that we know so we can share information,” Meyers said.

Freshman Emma Amon said she is looking forward to her first dance at the high school.

“That it’s not super chaotic probably with everybody there. I think it’s very interesting they have food there, it’ll add to the experience,” Amon said. “It’s interesting that they’re having it in the school. I’m excited for the dance just for the experience, and also I feel like it’s a big part of high school.”