School cuts supply of student planners

Student Guidebook transferred to digital

Photo illustration by Grace Farley

Photo illustration by Grace Farley

Photo illustration by Grace Farley

Atticus Raasch

Struggling to stay organized, senior Annika Vignes said she wishes the school had given her a planner as they had in years past.

Vignes said planners are necessary for students to keep up with all of their work.

“I was angry because I really like planners because it helps me organize my days and keep track of all of my homework,” Vignes said.

Assistant principal Charles Nixon-Johnson said cost issues kept the school from giving out the planners as they did in previous years.

“Unfortunately (money) boils down to everything. It’s expensive to make (the student planner/guidebooks),” Nixon-Johnson said. “I actually like them, I have one myself, one of the old ones. I forget the number somebody told me, but it’s a lot of money to make and print them.”

According to senior Ryan Klaers, many of the planners were not put to use when given out for free.

“I don’t mind the school not giving out planners,” Klaers said. “I ended up forgetting to use them and I feel like they go unused a lot.”

Vignes said students may be negatively impacted without a way to document assignments.

“I think for students who are like me and actually like organizing their stuff, (they) will be affected,” Vignes said. “They won’t be able to plan out as well and they’ll have to pay for their own planner.”

Nixon-Johnson said although not printed, the new student handbook will be put on the school website.

“One thing I know is that we’re going digital,” Johnson-Nixon said. “We are getting (the student handbook) online so hopefully by the end of this week that will be online to give it out.”

Klaers said having easy access to the student guidebook is beneficial.

“I think it’s good and I like that (the handbook) is online,” Klaers said. “If a student really has a question about it they can find it anywhere.”

1 Comment

One Response to “School cuts supply of student planners”

1. Dana Levinson on September 13th, 2017 10:03 am

I wonder if the school or teachers would be willing to set up a “fund a need” project on a site like donorschoose.org and the community could help support this initiative. I’d be happy to support promote the project through the organizations that I serve and I’m sure that there are many in the community that would be willing to do so as well.

[Reply]

• School cuts supply of student planners

GLCs enforce senior open lunch policy

‘Glow-coming’ to offer inclusivity

District names new Superintendent

Ramadan to occur week before finals

Project officials outline building process

Planning moves forward for new Chick-Fil-A

Event hosted to honor outgoing superintendent

Echowan prepares for yearbook distribution

Graduation to be held May 25

Bridgewater housing proposal denied by City Council

School cuts supply of student planners