Racial events inspire demonstration

Protest occurs in support of Champlin Park

Students gathered in the old gym to protest recent events in the Champlin Park school district. Seniors Doreen Moranga and Ambriya Reese helped organize the demonstration.

Abby Intveld

Abby Intveld

Mimi Fhima and Annabella Strathman

This story has been updated to reflect an error in the location of the event. Echo apologizes for the mistake. 

Approximately 100 students gathered in the old gym at 11 a.m. Nov. 10 to show support for students affected by recent events in the Champlin Park school district, according to Grade Level Coordinator (GLC) Derrick Turner.

According to the Star Tribune, two girls’ volleyball players were suspended following the release of a video involving Champlin students allegedly rapping a song with deragatory language.

Turner said they held the demonstration to raise awareness to the issues surrounding Champlin Park as well as allow students and faculty to express their solidarity.

“We just wanted to let the other school that went through the situation they went through this last week, let them know that they have support from people outside of their school district,” Turner said. “I just felt like the school didn’t have a lot of support from their district and it was a very conscious thing for the kids here to say ‘hey we support you,’ from where we are to where you are.”

Turner said he feels the demonstrations that took place in Champlin Park were disregarded by the district’s administration.

“The school did a protest I think yesterday or Wednesday,” Turner said. “Personally, I love what I’ve seen as far as the protest, but I didn’t feel like the students of color at that school district at that school were supported fully by the staff or the people of higher power,” Turner said.  

According to one of the students leading the demonstration, senior Doreen Moranga, she along with senior Ambriya Reese spread word of the event after GLCs Derrick Turner and David Lewis notified them of the events at Champlin Park.

“I didn’t know anything about it until our GLCs Derrick and David came up to me,” Moranga said. “They told me what happened, and then they told me they wanted to do something, and they thought I’d be a good person to get it going.”

Reese said after Turner and Lewis told her what happened in Champlin Park she was surprised at the event and at other students’ reactions.

“I was honestly really shocked that someone would do something like that. Especially in this day and age, I didn’t really think that I would encounter something like this in my life,” Reese said. “I was shocked to see that (her friends) were defending her actions and behavior because personally I don’t feel like doing something like that is even something that you should try to defend.”

Reese said she feels students should continue to think about and discuss the issues brought to light at the demonstration.

“It shouldn’t be a thing where after a few days, with this situation specifically, a few days shouldn’t pass and then it’s irrelevant, we should still be talking about it and having conversations about it and stuff like that,” Reese said.

Administration was unavailable for comment.

Echo reporters Abby Intveld and Emma Kempf also contributed to this story.

Mimi Fhima, Editor-in-Chief
Hello! My name is Mimi Fhima and I am editor-in-chief of Echo. I enjoy spending time with friends and family, being outside, running and working out, and taking naps. Definitely feel free to stop by the publications room and say hi! 
Annabella Strathman, Editor-in-Chief
“‘Pictured above is me, Annabella Strathman, one of your editors-in-chief. I spend my time spaced between being in bed, at home, in the pub, and in the halls at school. So there’s a really high chance you’ll see me around, cause you see a LOT of people during passing time. Look, if you wanna say...
1 Comment

One Response to “Racial events inspire demonstration”

1. Luci Lozem on November 13th, 2017 6:19 pm

Anyone who honestly believes that African-Americans should “thank the f*** out of us”(us being caucasians) deserves nothing more than to be completely socially cast away from any society. Perhaps in this scenario, considering a student said the above, a certain set of parents should be questioned and criticized by all. This type of thought and speech may be legally okay, but is not in any way, shape, or form morally okay.

• Racial events inspire demonstration

Local frozen yogurt shop closes

• Racial events inspire demonstration

‘Risky’ dress code prompts discussion

• Racial events inspire demonstration

Athletic department renovations to take place

• Racial events inspire demonstration

Parking passes continue to sell

• Racial events inspire demonstration

Assembly inspires voter registration

• Racial events inspire demonstration

Class numbers push limits

• Racial events inspire demonstration

District to reduce suspension disparities

• Racial events inspire demonstration

Writing portion of ACT and SAT tests no longer required

• Racial events inspire demonstration

District renovations to take place under referendum

• Racial events inspire demonstration

Police officers to start new security policy

Racial events inspire demonstration