Cold weather sidelines outdoor practices, games

Inclement forecast leaves teams practicing indoors

Senior Caleb Mesick scoops the ball out of the snow to toss it to his fellow teammates during boys’ lacrosse practice April 4 at the
stadium. Spring sports have had difficulties practicing outdoors because of a reported 9 inches of snow, according to Minnesota CBS.

Senior Caleb Mesick scoops the ball out of the snow to toss it to his fellow teammates during boys’ lacrosse practice April 4 at the stadium. Spring sports have had difficulties practicing outdoors because of a reported 9 inches of snow, according to Minnesota CBS.

Grace Farley

Grace Farley

Adam Johnson

The recent snow, coupled with cold temperatures, has forced most spring sports to use indoor practice facilities as game schedules remain uncertain, according to Athletic Director Andrew Ewald.

Ewald said, in his 18 years at Park, he has seldom experienced similar weather conditions interfering with spring sports.

Ewald said the inability for spring teams to practice outside proves difficult not only for coaches and players, but also causes wear on the district’s facilities.

“It’s not the easiest place to try to simulate what you would be doing outside,” Ewald said. “It’s not the best on the facilities either. It takes a lot of wear and tear on the gym space to do those things.”

Park’s baseball team has been using the school district’s gym spaces in order to prepare for the season, but according to senior baseball captain Shea Pekarek, indoor practices lack the ability to produce game-like situations.

“It’s definitely hard because we’re not getting used to how a real game will feel, but we just have to do whatever we can to try to simulate an actual game scenario,” Pekarek said.

According to Pekarek, the spring sports season will be more compact because of rescheduled games.

“I think games will be delayed and I think it will make the season a bit more challenging because that means more games in a fewer amount of time,” Pekarek said.

According to tennis head coach David Breitenbucher, the late snow impacts his ability to conduct tryouts with the team being forced indoors.

“Coaches are trying to look at the guys and get an accurate picture of where people are at, but it’s so hard to do with indoor courts,” Breitenbucher said. “The problem is we can’t get the courts because all of these schools are fighting for courts.”

To ensure Park’s athletic teams are prepared for competition Ewald said the athletic office’s budget ensures Park sports teams will have access to the necessary indoor practice facilities.

“We’ve got money kind of set aside for things like this because you’ve got to be prepared if something like this happens to be able to give any of our athletes the best opportunity within reason,” Ewald said.

Despite the snowy conditions the lacrosse team has been able to practice outside, according to the boys’ lacrosse head coach Chris Bixby.

“The kids actually had a great practice. They responded well. We did conditioning, but actually we did a lot of ball work,” Bixby said. “Everyone’s staying focused and I think they’re having fun in the snow.”

According to Bixby, when conditions become too extreme outdoors the team uses indoor facilities such as gyms and turf-domes to run drills.

“Honestly, inside we had one of our better practices. We are starting the season off well despite the poor conditions,” Bixby said.